• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Pour-over" Coffee makers

nakji

I'm not sure I'll ever go back to a coffee maker. It's so easy to clean up my little one.

And it doesn't burn the coffee.

Exactly the reason I don't like most coffee brewers. I absolutely can't stand "stale" coffee and for me that staling occurs in as little as 20 minutes after brewing and I have become more sensitive to this over the years.

Needless to say, I don't drink coffee in restaurants.

I've used the various types of pour-over brewers and they work fine if the coffee is served immediately - it's when it has to be kept heated for a time that engenders my complaint.

Pour-over, single cup brewing is just fine, as long as the coffee itself is of very good to excellent quality.

At home I use a single serve Senseo and I grind my own coffee (sometimes roast it too) and make my own pods with a little appliance that does the job beautifully. This is just a bit less messy than using a single serve pour-over filter.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with these permanent coffee filters with pour-over brewer?

http://www.amazon.com/COAVA-Kone-K-ONE-Pour-Filter/dp/B004G7PTKE/ref=sr_1_64?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1299252495&sr=1-64

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

• 1 year later...

So I had my first ever pourover coffee today, from Filter Coffeehouse in DC. It was all made using Hario gear, from the v60 cone to the Buono kettle to the little glass beaker thing that the coffee dripped into. I really liked it (I usually drink either French Press, Turkish, or Vietnamese coffee), and I'd like to maybe get a setup for myself. I'm curious as to how the open-style cones like the Hario differ in end result from the restricted cones such as the classic Melitta design. If I can avoid spending $50+ on a fancy kettle (as needed by the open design), that'd be great, if the end product is comparable.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you ask about the difference between open-style and restricted cones. The V60 cone has spiral-ribbed walls to aid in proper extraction (no idea whether this actually does anything). I will say that to achieve optimal results, you will need a kettle in the style of the Buono - standard kettles don't provide you with the level of control that the Buono does, and proper pour over depends on a consistent pour. If the idea of standing over the cone pouring for several minutes is a turn-off, I'd suggest the Clever dripper. It's basically a combination of a pour over and a french press. It has a valve at the bottom to keep the water in; you pour in all the water, wait for the desired amount of time, and then place on top of the cup, where it will release the water. It uses paper filters, so it results in a cleaner cup than french press, but does have a heavier body as a result of the complete immersion style of brewing.

What I meant was, in a Melitta-style, pinhole cone, can one add water and walk away, or is it also an issue of hovering as with the v60?

By the way, I did some practice pours out of a teapot and I seemed to get a pretty precise stream, so I might use that before deciding whether a dedicated kettle is worth it.

The problem with pouring all the water at once is that it leads to uneven extraction. As the water makes its way downward, the grounds on the bottom are exposed to water longer than those on top. This means that the bottom grounds get overextracted, producing bitter coffee, and the top grounds are underextracted. Melitta seems to suggest that you can do this, but if you're going through the trouble to make pour over, I wouldn't advise it.

If you're precise enough with your kettle, by all means, save the money. All the fancy ones do is produce a thinner, slower stream.

• 1 year later...

So bumping this thread up, I've been using a Hario Skerton, a V60 with the Hario filters, and believe it or not, a cezve (Turkish coffeepot) to pour the water. It works fairly well, except that other than Turkish coffee this is my only means of making coffee in my new digs.

It's fine when I'm alert and I have the time, but shortly after waking, manually grinding and precise pouring is a real drag. I will soon be in the market for, most likely, a Baratza Encore grinder, and possibly also a Clever Dripper. Maybe a French press instead of the Clever Dripper - either way I want something that when I'm groggy, is relatively easy and foolproof.

• Similar Content

• By Objective Foodie
      During the past year, our coffee consumption at home has increased substantially. We have tried beans from different roasteries from the UK and Europe, but we are constantly in the search of new ones. The speciality coffee market has been rapidly increasing in past years and it is becoming easier to find high quality beans.

The best roasteries we have tried so far:
      UK based: Round Hill Roastery, Square Mile, Monmouth,  Pharmacie, New Ground, Workshop, James Gourmet, Ozone. Europe based: The Barn (Germany), Gardelli (Italy), Hard Beans (Poland), Calendar (Ireland), Roasted Brown (Ireland), Right Side (Spain), Coffee Collective (Denmark).  
      Have you had any exciting coffee beans lately? Do you have any other recommendations?
    • By Kasia
      INSTEAD OF COFFEE? - MORNING GREEN COCKTAIL

After waking up, most of us head towards the kitchen for the most welcome morning drink. Coffee opens our eyes, gets us up and motivates us to act. Today I would like to offer you a healthy alternative to daily morning coffee. I don't want to turn you off coffee completely. After all, it has an excellent aroma and fantastic flavor. There isn't anything more relaxing during a busy day than a coffee break with friends.

In spite of the weather outside, change your kitchen for a while and try something new. My green cocktail is also an excellent way to wake up and restore energy. Add to it a pinch of curcuma powder, which brings comfort and acts as a buffer against autumn depression.

Ingredients (for 2 people):
      200ml of green tea
      4 new kale leaves
      1 green cucumber
      half an avocado
      1 pear
      1 banana
      pinch of salt
      pinch of curcuma

Peel the avocado, pear and banana. Remove the core from the pear. Blend every ingredient very thoroughly. If the drink is too thick, add some green tea. Drink at once.

Enjoy your drink!

• By Kasia
      Even though I would like to change the situation, the winter is coming. Sooner or later there will be sharp winds, frost and unpleasant moisture. I don't know how you like to warm up at home, but on the first cold day I dust off my home recipe for hot and yummy winter teas.

You can use my recipe or come up with your own proposals for fiery mixtures. Only one thing should be the same: your favourite tea must be strong and hot.

Ingredients (for 2 teas)
      Raspberry-orange
      8 cloves
      a piece of cinnamon
      2 grains of cardamom
      4 slices of orange
      2 teaspoons of honey
      your favourite tea
      50ml of raspberry juice or 30ml of raspberry juice and 30ml of raspberry liqueur
      Add 4 of the cloves, cinnamon and cardamom to some water and boil for a while to release their flavour and aroma. Remove the seasoning and brew the tea with this water. Crush two slices of orange with honey. Add the raspberry juice or a mixture of juice and liqueur to the tea. Next add the honey with orange. Mix it in. Decorate the tea with the rest of the cloves and orange.

Lemon-ginger
      8 cloves
      3 slices of fresh ginger
      2 grains of cardamom
      50ml of ginger syrup or 30ml of ginger syrup and 30ml of ginger-lemon liqueur
      4 slices of lemon
      2 teaspoons of honey
      Add 4 of the cloves, ginger and cardamom to some water and boil for a while to release their flavour and aroma. Remove the seasoning and brew the tea with this water. Crush two slices of lemon with honey. Add the ginger syrup or mixture of syrup and liqueur to the tea. Next add honey with lemon. Mix it in. Decorate the tea with the rest of the cloves and lemon.

Enjoy your drink!

• By Kasia
      My Irish Coffee  
      Today the children will have to forgive me, but adults also sometimes want a little pleasure. This is a recipe for people who don't have to drive a car or work, i.e. for lucky people or those who can rest at the weekend. Irish coffee is a drink made with strong coffee, Irish Whiskey, whipped cream and brown sugar. It is excellent on cold days. I recommend it after an autumn walk or when the lack of sun really gets you down. Basically, you can spike the coffee with any whiskey, but in my opinion Jameson Irish Whiskey is the best for this drink.

If you don't like whiskey, instead you can prepare another kind of spiked coffee: French coffee with brandy, Spanish coffee with sherry, or Jamaican coffee with dark rum.
      Ingredients (for 2 drinks)
      300ml of strong, hot coffee
      40ml of Jameson Irish Whiskey
      150ml of 30% sweet cream
      4 teaspoons of coarse brown sugar
      1 teaspoon of caster sugar
      4 drops of vanilla essence
      Put two teaspoons of brown sugar into the bottom of two glasses. Brew some strong black coffee and pour it into the glasses. Warm the whiskey and add it to the coffee. Whisk the sweet cream with the caster sugar and vanilla essence. Put it gently on top so that it doesn't mix with the coffee.

Enjoy your drink!

• By Kasia
      Today I would like to share with you the recipe for swift autumn cookies with French pastry and a sweet ginger-cinnamon-pear stuffing. Served with afternoon coffee they warm us up brilliantly and dispel the foul autumn weather.

Ingredients (8 cookies)
      1 pack of chilled French pastry
      1 big pear
      1 flat teaspoon of cinnamon
      1 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
      2 tablespoons of brown sugar
      1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
      2 tablespoons of milk

Heat the oven up to 190C. Cover a baking sheet with some baking paper.
      Wash the pear, peel and cube it. Add the grated ginger, cinnamon, vanilla sugar and one tablespoon of the brown sugar. Mix them in. Cut 8 circles out of the French pastry. Cut half of every circle into parallel strips. Put the pear stuffing onto the other half of each circle. Roll up the cookies starting from the edges with the stuffing. Put them onto the baking paper and make them into cones. Smooth the top of the pastry with the milk and sprinkle with brown sugar. bake for 20-22 minutes.

Enjoy your meal!