• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to make frosting with some obvious grittiness!

Josho

I've scoured the web and never seen this problem raised before.

My wife, whose preferences in food texture are, to put it mildly, unusual*, prefers frosting with definite discernible grittiness. I'd like to make a fine standard buttercream, but I'd also like to ensure that it DOES have some grittiness. Should I reduce the amount of confectioners' sugar in the recipe and make up for it with some superfine sugar? Any suggestions would be welcome!

Many thanks,

Josh

*For instance: she won't eat crispy french fries, she'll only eat floppy, soggy ones. She doesn't like her toast to be visibly browned; she prefers "warm bread" to toast. She abhors bread crumbs on top of macaroni and cheese, and definitely favors mac & cheese made with Velveeta to anything made with real cheese. She'll only eat chewy cookies, not crisp ones. I despair of what she's doing to my cooking skills!

? make your preferred frosting, spread it on her cake, sprinkle w granulated sugar?

Each bite will then contain grit, and you can do the sprinkling last minute, so it doesnt dissolve.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Superfine is the same size grain as confectioner's sugar, but without the amount of cornstarch to prevent caking.

I would add some regular granulated sugar, preferably at the start of your dry addition cycle, so it has the chance to melt a little. An alternate idea would be to give granulated sugar a very short spin in the food processor, but not so much that it ends up 10X.

And I'm with her on the breadcrumbs on mac & cheese thing.

Theresa :smile:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Superfine is the same size grain as confectioner's sugar, but without the amount of cornstarch to prevent caking.

I would add some regular granulated sugar, preferably at the start of your dry addition cycle, so it has the chance to melt a little. An alternate idea would be to give granulated sugar a very short spin in the food processor, but not so much that it ends up 10X.

I get superfine bakers sugar that is not that fine. I use C&H 'bakers special, definitely more granular than icing sugar, maybe a 4 or 6x. Maybe it is just one of those hazy terms with multiple applications.

For grit, how about brown sugar in the frosting?

You know, based on your description of your wife's preferences, it seems like she just likes the food she was served when she was a kid, the way her mother (who may not have been much of a cook) made it. I am betting the solution is more obvious than you might imagine. Keep a box of 10x hanging around until it is sort of old and clumpy. Make frosting with it: DO NOT SIFT OR STRAIN, and use a wooden spoon only. Voila: gritty icing. I can't tell you how many times I had that growing up in the 50s/60s at other kids' houses.