• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turn and Burn - Bourdain, Ripert and...

IndyRob

It turns out that this is old news but I can't find mention of it here....

I was reading Anthony Bourdain's Travel Channel blog about the 100th episode and noticed the first entry in the comments section concerned an appearance by him and Eric Ripert on the Martha Stewart show. Apparently he was gracious despite Martha's interruptions. I had to try to seek this out and found it.

We start with a dog teaser followed by a table discussion with a centerpiece of durian - during which, oddly, Tony is barely able say anything more than that he's tried it. Martha begins to loose her inner Zimmern and then it's time to press the two chefs into a production of a coq au vin. Tony remains amazingly gracious and even lets a 'nubbin' reference go untouched.

But towards the end all becomes clear as it's made clear that the purpose of the appearance is Bourdain and Ripert's upcoming Sirius/XM radio show on the Martha Stewart Living channel. A stint of five weekly shows.

It turns out that this was all earlier this year. There are some youtube clips and blog entries, but I've yet to find any place to listen to the whole shows. Hopefully they have or will find a home and not be lost to the ages.

How funny - the episode was on sometime this week, I think yesterday, as a repeat. We are having some rooms of our house painted so I have been working out of the house this week and sometimes put on the tv in the office as background. I couldn't believe what I was watching - have to go read AB's blog to see what he has to say. She didn't even know that he used to be a chef in a restaurant! I was amazed at how incredibly gracious he was under the circumstances. So glad I unmuted to listen - wish I had taped it.

She didn't even know that he used to be a chef in a restaurant!

I couldn't believe that either,

"Have you read any of my freakin' books, woman??"

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

The pasta part of it is priceless (beginning at around 20:00). After Martha 'helps' Eric freaking Ripert with his pasta rolling, she brings the rolled pasta over to Tony for cutting. As soon as he begins to handle the dough she says "No, don't mess that up." Tony brushes that aside as deftly as he rolls and cuts the pasta. Martha then swoops in with another admonition and whisks the pasta away. At this point Tony is clearly at his limit. He looks behind Martha at Ripert but he's not looking back. Then he looks to the audience who clearly get it.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

I watched that episode, and thought that AB was treated rudely by Martha. I saw this topic and thought it was quite ironic, considering I had just seen the episode.

She even made a remark to him that was something like, "And have you ever actually worked as a chef in a restaurant, or do you just write books?" to AB. He looked like he had been slapped.

Considering that I CANNOT STAND AB, and LOVE Eric Ripert, I got a kick out of it. I find the man to be just crude and lacking in any intellect, grace, or humor beyond that of an adolescent boy. There are many who find that kind of lowbrow and crass material funny (or Hollywood would be out of business). I do not. My guess is that Martha probably shares my sentiment.

The pasta part of it is priceless (beginning at around 20:00). After Martha 'helps' Eric freaking Ripert with his pasta rolling, she brings the rolled pasta over to Tony for cutting. As soon as he begins to handle the dough she says "No, don't mess that up." Tony brushes that aside as deftly as he rolls and cuts the pasta. Martha then swoops in with another admonition and whisks the pasta away. At this point Tony is clearly at his limit. He looks behind Martha at Ripert but he's not looking back. Then he looks to the audience who clearly get it.

Hilarious. I've never watched her show before, but whenever I've seen her she typically seemed pretty savvy. She looked ridiculous in this clip. That look from Bourdain was the icing on the cake. If I found out this was some kind of meta performance art, I might say it was the most brilliant comedy I've ever seen.

nunc est bibendum...

Just watched the clip. Great fun. Martha is something else.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

• 2 months later...

I just watched as much as I can bear. I love both Bourdain and Ripert, each are in their skins in their own way, and each have my abiding appreciation. I cannot stand MS, and this exemplifies why. What a completely arrogant fool.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais