• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hungry Mother in Cambridge

Chris Amirault

The beef tongue canape are delicious if they are on the menu, the ham and bisuits are also good. Whatever shrimp dish they are doing for first course is usually delicious, especially their shrimp and grits. For entrees, a lot of people like the catfish, but it didn't stand out to me. Oddly, their chicken dish (I know, chicken seems so boring) is usually EXCELLENT. They also have very solid cocktails - if you are feeling ready to embrace the fall, the no.43 is very good; we make that one at home now. Enjoy!

More of an agreement to what Elizabeth said, as I haven't had a chance to hit up Hungry Mother in a while, I can say that i've heard really good things about both the chicken and the the shrimp and grits as well - wish I could add more, but from what I know most everything there should be pretty decent, and I always hear the chicken is a standout, as odd as that is.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.

The shrimp and grits are yummy, as is the bluefish. The specials do change seasonally,I believe, and the regular menu isn't very long. Some months ago when I was last there, they served some excellent biscuits with country ham and homemade red pepper jelly.

Try the boiled peanuts, really.

My friends who prefer cocktails to beer or wine tell me that they offer some unusual and excellent choices.

Had a great dinner at Hungry Mother Saturday night. Terrific booze -- Pappy Van Winkle bourbon for my dinner partner, Handy rye for me -- lovely paté, quail, and rice pudding. Got seconds of the shrimp & grits; that housemade tasso is to die for.

Great service, too. You paying attention to this southern hospitality thing, smug, austere Yankee servers?

Got a new favorite in Cambridge.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Glad you had a good time, I keep reminding myself I need to head on over there, it's been a while since i've been there, and you would think I would since I live right here in cambridge.

Still, my fav here (not counting where I work, obviously) is craigie on main. Always have awesome stuff over there.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.