• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef : Season 8 - All Stars

KristiB50

Tiffany should have been sent home. She has never one a single challenge and continues to be on the bottom every week. Dale is amazing along with Angelo and Fabio. This series is getting ridiculous.

I hope Carla wins! Love her!

On 1298675063' post='1792105, Chris Hennes said:

In light of the oyster-copying episode, it's interesting to read Blais's comments about culinary plagiarism here at eG, from way back in 2006.

I thought it was pretty low down especially since Mike admitted it and gloated. Another twist is that shortly before filming this season, Blais found a burger joint out west making his exact nutella milkshake and there were some heated words exchanged in the blogoshere.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Mike eventually gets what's coming to him for that theft. Rock on, Karma Fairy!

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Just saw Spike at the South Beach Food & Wine Festival's Burger Bash where he entered the following burger:

Good Stuff Eatery (Washington D.C.)

*2009 People's Choice Winner

Colletti Smokehouse Burger - Beef burger topped with applewood smoked bacon, cheddar cheese, beer battered onion rings, chipotle BBQ sauce on a potato bun served with a toasted marshmallow milkshake.

It was pretty great. Plus he was really fun and working the crowd hard dressed as the "Hamburgler."

P. Channon

pchannon.blogspot.com

@PChannonC

I'm still trying to figure out why Carla was so giddy over Paula Deen. Really?

I believe it is less about Paula's food and more about Paula's story. Don't recall the details, but I believe Paula had some hard times (financial? divorce?) coupled with severe anxiety that kept her almost house-bound which she managed to overcome to be the very, very successful woman she is today. So Carla probably respects Paula's strength and drive more than her deep fried butter. I do, too.

Watching Mike Isabella braying is not my idea of a fun evening.

Amen.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Tiffany should have been sent home. She has never one a single challenge and continues to be on the bottom every week. Dale is amazing along with Angelo and Fabio. This series is getting ridiculous.

Unfortunately, the judging system produces that result sometimes --- where someone is on the bottom over & over again, but manages somehow to avoid cooking the absolute worst dish in any given episode.

But sometimes these things go in streaks. Tiffany had a stretch where she was in the top group three out of four weeks in a row. At one point, Antonia was in the bottom group three episodes in a row, but has now been in the top group for the last four, including one win.

I do think there ought to be a way to accumulate points, so that sustained excellence would be rewarded.

Great Editing last night. They made you think Blais was on the fence and when Padma said what she said, I did the verbal gasp.

I gasp every time I see Padma.

Blais is possibly the biggest sore-loser this program has ever had. He always looks so pissed when other winners are announced, even though (gasp) their dishes were probably better than his.

Learn how to lose, dude.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I wonder how much of his pissed look is really deceptive editing and unrelated to what was said by the judge. Those magical elves have no scruples.

i agree. seems to me they have several "richard looking pissed" clips that they use repeatedly for situations when he may not have actually looked pissed. definitely the persona they are using for blais, whether it's actually the case or not.

I think there is a difference between being self critical and wishing the others doom.

I also agree he should be pissed after being beat by some sliced oranges.

so richard was pissed because carla's dish was "cut up oranges with some stuff on top."

and richard's dish was--cut up hotdogs with stuff on top.

please.

with a snackbar challenge, there is no high road, so don't try to put yourself on it, richard. head down, put something on the plate, and hope for the best. that's all you can really do with that, in my opinion.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

The snack bar challenge may have been the dumbest quickfire yet - especially at this point in the show. Dan Barber chose Carla because she came the closest to fresh food by using an orange as the primary ingredient.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The snack bar challenge may have been the dumbest quickfire yet - especially at this point in the show. Dan Barber chose Carla because she came the closest to fresh food by using an orange as the primary ingredient.

Totally agree and I pegged Carla to win the QF based on Dan being the guest judge. Overall a good episode except for the QF. They each did exceptionally well. I was wondering how they were going to choose the looser based on their comments.

I wonder how much of his pissed look is really deceptive editing and unrelated to what was said by the judge. Those magical elves have no scruples.

What's unscrupulous about it? They are producing entertainment. The edit is designed to draw out the chefs' more colorful comments and reactions. It is also designed to ensure that the outcome will be in doubt until the last 5 minutes, when the winner and the eliminated chef are announced.

Edited by oakapple (log)

unless i missed it, there was no prize or advantage for winning the quickfire last night. so, it doesn't really matter who won or what the challenge entailed.

I thought it very coincidental that the judges couldn’t come up with a loser on family night eventhough it all did look pretty good. Tho I was a little peeved how much praise Isabella received for that fregin simplistic gnocchi.

Btw, has it been discussed that the final credits state (at almost subliminal message speed) that challenge winners and losers are chosen by the judges in conjunction with the producers?

That wasn't chicken

Btw, has it been discussed that the final credits state (at almost subliminal message speed) that challenge winners and losers are chosen by the judges in conjunction with the producers?

Yep (of course...). Tom has stated on his blog that it doesn't happen (except one time, with "clippergate"), it's just a boilerplate disclaimer.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org