• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef : Season 8 - All Stars

KristiB50

From his Facebook page...

For those of you interested or perplexed....I was offered a spot on Top Chef Allstars. They tried to convince me that it would be a second opportunity to show that I could win. I honestly don't need a second opportunity to feel like a winner, and the outpouring that I get from everyone on this page reminds me of that on a daily basis.

Sorry, Marcel & Stephan aren't in the same league as Richard.

I wouldn't discount Marcel. He took some crazy risks in that finale and that's a few years past already. He's a sous for Jose Andres now, arguably one of the best chefs in the world.

That wasn't chicken

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know or have any information of why last season's Kevin was excluded from the show? I thought he was one of the best chefs on any of the seasons let alone last year's stellar group. I think this format is great for a freshness injection for the show, particularly after this year's mediocre class. I'm also pleased that Richard will have a chance to redeem himself after clearly blowing it in the finale. Should be fun but I suspect, like others have noted, that the diva factor is going to run high.

Kevin commented on facebook that he was asked to be on TC All Stars. If I recall correctly he said he turned it down as he didn't feel he had anything to prove.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

• 1 month later...

Perhaps "Top Chef- All Characters" would be more appropriate. They are only missing a few.

Bourdain perhaps a bit off-base with his pasta criticism. But any TC judge who gets a MF into the final cut deserves our admiration.

I didn't see season 2 but in week 1, two of the bottom 3 were ones I'd pick to go early, those 2 being Stephen and Fabio. Frankly, I wish Stephen had gone.

As for favorites, Richard seems to be almost an odds on favorite. Marcel is probably the second favorite. The chef that most intrigues me though is Dale L. In season 3 I believe he said he'd almost stopped cooking. He just got better and better and damn near beat Hung. It will be interesting to see how much he has progressed. I think Angelo as well should be one of the favorites.

I like Jennifer and Tre as well and both of them have a chance too.

I think it was smart to do a TC with past contestants. We know, from past experience that the show should be fairly strong this season with some very good chefs making early exits. As for the atitude of 'they couldn't win before' I think that is b.s. This is there chance to prove it was just an off day that go them. Was anyone critical on TC Masters that Rick Moonen, Jonathon Waxman, and Wily Dufresne came back? I think not.

I will say about week 1, I though it was wicked that they gave them a 'do over' with the ingredients that lost it for them before. I'd be willing to bet a couple of them planned for that, but many did not.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

There's really no way to describe how good Angelo's palate is. Flavors like JGV's through a loudspeaker; totally unique and memorable. Can't blame any of his competitors (or fans) for hoping he falls ill.

I thought the quickfire was an excellent idea. Team up by seasons and cook for the bragging rights. But as I watched, I realized that, ironically, whoever would win this honor would inevitably wind up saying that season 8 was much tougher than any of the other seasons. Oh well. But another benefit was that they didn't have to cover 17 chefs individually in a quickfire.

I was about to panic as Richard didn't stop when the clock ran out. I thought he could could go home for not presenting a dish. But that's not how it works. So I guess if the clock is running out and there's something on the plate that could get you eliminated, you should just keep working and fix it regardless of the clock. I somehow doubt you can keep working on it until the following morning though. I wonder what the rule is. Make it to the table on time?

Once I saw that Richard was off the hook, it seemed to me like Stephen was the one to go. However, part of me wanted Elia to go because she was making me nervous for her.

I'm glad Richard and Fabio will survive to fight another day.

Oh, and after all the Season-7-Isn't-Up-To-Snuff angst, Angelo pulls off the first win.

And...Bourdain's blog is back. Tony is feeling bad for offending Fabio.

Big egos, big talent, big names, ....I think I just became interested in the franchise again.

Well . . . one big difference is that there's no cannon fodder: everyone there is good.

Once I saw that Richard was off the hook, it seemed to me like Stephen was the one to go. However, part of me wanted Elia to go because she was making me nervous for her.

I was pretty sure it would be Elia, because she made the most specific error (getting the protein wrong). The criticisms of Fabio and Stephen's dishes were too vague to get them sent home in the first round.

Incidentally, was this the first time that a chef has ever been disqualified for going past the time limit?

Oh, and after all the Season-7-Isn't-Up-To-Snuff angst, Angelo pulls off the first win.

To the extent Season 7 was criticized, it was for the average level of the people in it—the ones who aren’t around any more. Every season of Top Chef has had good chefs.

I'm also glad to see the high-stakes challenges carrying over into this season. I think the producers are getting smart about making sure everyone is playing to win all the way through. Not that in this season there is any chaff to get rid of in the early part, but it's good to give additional incentive to win every single challenge.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Richard and Jen are my top picks too. My top picks to lose were in the bottom three. But I wish Stephen had gone first. Glad Fabio didn't. He's fun to listen to!

Although I like Jen, when she was on the show the first time, she really started to crumble towards the end of the season. This time, the competition is tougher. She's really going to need to demonstrate that she can keep a level head as the season goes on.

I'd never seen Top Chef until now--doesn't free on free-to-air television in Australia, so far as I know--but I'm ten minutes in now with the first episode of season eight and already annoyed by everyone.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I'd never seen Top Chef until now--doesn't free on free-to-air television in Australia, so far as I know--but I'm ten minutes in now with the first episode of season eight and already annoyed by everyone.

I'd suggest giving it some more time. Most of us are excited about it, but we already know each chef fairly well by now by their previous ups and downs. I can't imagine watching season 8 without knowing about the previous seven seasons. Usually, the early episodes are confusing but more becomes clear as they pare down the competitors and are able to spend more time with each.

As I think Sethro would attest, they will focus on the drama and leave out a lot of good work. But with as many as 17 people to cover in the initial episodes, it's hard for them to show much depth in around the one hour alotted.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

I was about to panic as Richard didn't stop when the clock ran out. I thought he could could go home for not presenting a dish. But that's not how it works. So I guess if the clock is running out and there's something on the plate that could get you eliminated, you should just keep working and fix it regardless of the clock. I somehow doubt you can keep working on it until the following morning though. I wonder what the rule is. Make it to the table on time?

I'm glad Richard and Fabio will survive to fight another day.

Richard had immunity from winning the quickfire didn't he? That could explain why it didn't really matter whether his dish went out on time.

Richard and Jen are my top picks too. My top picks to lose were in the bottom three. But I wish Stephen had gone first. Glad Fabio didn't. He's fun to listen to!

Am I the only person that finds Fabio incredibly annoying this season? He was funny and refreshing during the terrible blandness that was season 5 but really his whole schtick is growing old. His comments about the mustard gelato during the quickfire especially annoyed me. And while maybe Bourdain crossed the line, Fabio has gotten into similar arguments in that past (Scott Conant) and needs to get it through his head that his dishes aren't perfect all the time.

Good for Jen to give them hell! The Philly came out in her finally. Judging by their (edited) comments I can't believe that her rant didn't weigh against her. The fritatas committed more serious sins...they weren't cooked right, they were mundane "buffet or cruise ship" fare. And Jen had a "helper" who took off because of a two-stitch cut. Give me a break; she's the one who should've been sent home...or the fritata sisters.