• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NORMANDY CIDRE

MJGUS

Norman or Brittany Cidre Bouche is what you are looking for. Its very hard to get in the US as basically all of it is consumed domestically.

If your'e looking to make that mussels steamed in cider dish, any hard cider will do.

http://www.farnumhillciders.com/sources.html is a US company that makes a cider made with normandy as well as american and english apples. Its very, very good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

eric bordelet was the sommelier at arpege in paris for a number of years in the 90s. in '94 or'96 he retreated to his family in normandy and took over the care of their apple and pear trees whose fruit from which they had been fermenting cider for many years. he now produces 4 or 5 different bottlings of sparkling cider, among which is a pear cider that is outstanding. "poire granit" is made from 300 year old pear trees planted in pure granite & schist. the cider, although maintaining a slight bit of residual sugar, communicates an outstanding minerality that makes it a very compelling production. great balance. again, this is not a "brut" cider, but pairs very well with more luscious blue cheeses (bleu d'auvergne comes to mind).

distributed in new york city by jeroboam. but do a google search on him & you may have more luck. note, in brooklyn one may find his work at bierkraft retail.

cheers.

I don't think there's any substantial difference between cidre from Normandy and Brittany, but from chauvinism resulting from my daughter's marriage to a Breton, I will categorically state the best cidre comes from Brittany.

:biggrin:

Astor on Astor Place has had both Norman and Breton cidre in NY. The best cidre I've had in NY was produced by the Manoir du Kinkiz near Quimper in Brittany and bore the appellation Cornouaille Controlée designation. Astor used to carry it. I don't know if they still do. It's a natural brut cidre corked much like a champagne with a wired on mushroom cork. It was a Louis/Dressner Selection and imported by LDM Wines, Inc. or Long Island City, NY. I suppose you could contact them and find out if they still import the cidre and where they distribute it.

I'm told there's some decent hard cider produced in NYS, but I haven't tasted it. I was speaking with the owner of Breezy Hill orchards at the Union Square Greenmarket in NYC and she told me they have a cider operation but for legal reasons can't sell alcoholic beverages at the Greenmarket.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.