• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camano Chef

Anti-Griddle for Rapid Cooling of Food Cooked Sous Vide

Has anyone used an Anti-griddle for rapid cooling of SV foods prior to freezing or chilling in the refrigerator?

No, but I would like to know what advantage/effect there might be on the final product. Is this about speed?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I'd think that using an ice-bath would probably cool faster, since it's going to be coming from all sides at one. Since you're already bagged, it's easier, too.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Using an antigriddle for cooling is like using a real griddle for cooking - a big difference between inside/outside temperatures.

I'm with Chris on the ice/water mix. It's going to be much faster and more thorough than the antigriddle.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

There is a big difference between rapidly cooling something, and rapidly freezing the surface of something...convection/conduction....What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

I always use my freezing tunnel .

Haha

Quick and cheap: salt and ice bath.

I never use salt, sure it lowers the temperature of the ice bath but for me I don't see a huge advantage of a couple degrees.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

I never use salt, sure it lowers the temperature of the ice bath but for me I don't see a huge advantage of a couple degrees.

salt can actually drop the water temp to -21°C.

Notes from the underbelly

I'm referring to using a realistic amount when making your ice bath to shock something, not max saturation.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog