• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vanilla malt cake

Stephanie Brim

For my son's birthday I wanted to do something non-chocolate. I figured that a vanilla malt cake would be an interesting thing to do since he likes the vanilla malts I end up getting from ice cream shops, so I did a search...and came up very short.

Does no one make a vanilla malt cake? Did I just miss all the recipes?

If someone has something I can start with, or a better Google-Fu than I, it would be much appreciated. Considering I just got the pound+ of beans I ordered today, I'm itching to do something with them.

My first try modified the yellow cake that Deb from Smitten Kitchen came up with. Way, way too light and airy for my purposes...which just kind of makes me wonder about myself a little. I guess I was going for something a little denser. I just used Carnation malted milk powder. THAT turned out to be a horrible mistake. On tasting it plain, I guess I didn't really catch the absolutely amazing amount of salt that they put into that stuff. Add to that the fact that I was using kosher salt for the first time and the fact that I think salted butter slipped past my brain as unsalted and you have some very salty cupcakes. Needless to say, that batch went in the bin. I'll try this one with some better malt powder, I think.