• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

recipe suggestion for fish

smilingal

Looking for a "company" recipe for fish - thinking of fish in pastry - not with much of heavy cream sauces. I had a great recipe, planning on using it next week, but have searched everywhere where it isn't. Would love some of your favorites. I am making it alongside an apricot sesame chicken dish.

What kind of fish do you have access to, how many at the table, and when you say "in pastry" do you mean in a puff pastry or in a pie item? Eager to help but better with more input :)

I have a cook's ilustrated recipe which looks good - my concern is that working with flounder or sole fillets and rolling them up can be a bit tedious, difficult, frustrating - and this recipe calls for overlapping all the fillets so that it becomes a long log-roll and then slice it into portions - and I am thinking not such a sure bet to look neat.

You won't do meuniere or the like for 16... isn't autumn supposed to be salmon season ? Where are you ? Do you still have summer heat ? Depending on the size of your oven, a big baked salmon (or two) will go round, you can serve hot or cold, and if it's wild it's a special treat; farmed is plenty cost-effective, if you can get good quality.

Sorry, not really a recipe. Fresh bay leaves. Black pepper. Home-made Mayo or hollandaise. Just tell the guests you invented the combination.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

thanks for the great suggestions - this is needed for a dinner that will have many other components - so the fish is yet another offer for the full plate - we are starting with a mushroom soup, then moving onto a Jewish stuffed cabbage with mini meatballs, then the sesame apricot/nut chicken, a fish sample, many different sides etc etc etc.

That's a lot of food, and a lot of different flavors coming at people. How about something simple for the fish course, to give people a rest? I suggest Julia Child's recipe for Fish Filets Poached in White Wine. It's in her Mastering the Art cookbook. I make the dish with sole filets, folded in half into triangles. That presentation is surprisingly attractive. The recipe is tasty and straightforward to cook, too.

If you want to do a fish in pastry, you could try some kind of fish in strudel. Beverly Gannon has a salmon strudel in her General Store cookbook, which I've never cooked (only drooled over). It's probably too heavy for your dinner, but maybe the recipe can give you some ideas. On Googlebooks, Page 21. Scroll up to Page 20 for a pic.

http://books.google.com/books?id=hUK0obUbHHYC&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=beverly+gannon+salmon+strudel&source=bl&ots=p-y5-P-dld&sig=lYnaROL_Qf4WksmykH12YKxpIII&hl=en&ei=sLqGTJSUE5L0swOFyaisCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Well, I don't know what your objection to cream is - in your place Trout in Cream would be near the top of my list. It works with salmon, too, and also will with Arctic Char if what I've read is correct. It's fillets laid flat, covered and grilled; it doesn't come across as cream-laden so much as nicely rich, and cut with the savour of chives and the savour of toasted breadcrumbs (I find I don't know how to say 'koubashii' in English), and it scales beautifully.

In the linked thread, there are umpteen other ideas.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Thanks for the great suggestions - I have settled in with a Salmon Wellington - although I wouldn't name it that - it basically is a whole 3lb fillet - making two of these - and laying it upon a rolled out puff pastry dough which has a mixture of leeks, red onions and tarragon leaves spread over it - wrapped up, brushed to look pretty and baked. Came out juicy and delicious for the experiment dinner.