• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm in a Broccoli Cul-de-Sac

Chris Amirault

Has anyone mentioned Broccoli Soufflé?

I bookmarked this recipe several years ago and I can't count how many times I have prepared it and it is virtually fool-proof. Never had a failure.

It looks pretty and tastes phenomenal.

I have tried other recipes for broccoli soufflé but this one is by far the best I have sampled.

The only difference is that I don't use fat-free sour cream and I use 2% or whole milk.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Has anyone mentioned Broccoli Soufflé?

I bookmarked this recipe several years ago and I can't count how many times I have prepared it and it is virtually fool-proof. Never had a failure.

It looks pretty and tastes phenomenal.

I have tried other recipes for broccoli soufflé but this one is by far the best I have sampled.

The only difference is that I don't use fat-free sour cream and I use 2% or whole milk.

Thanks for this recipe -- looks great and I too have been running out of inspired ideas for what to do with broccoli. Will try and report back soon!

roasted with other veggies or it also makes a nice cream soup IMO. Of course, kids don't like it much, wife is so so about it, thus we don't have it very often. I do have some in the fridge right now though, maybe I'll try to create a broccoli curry cream soup of some kind, kids eat just about anything with curry, even eggplant :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

A while back, maggiethecat posted a link to this recipe from the NY Times for broccoli with toasted garlic and oyster sauce. I've been making it frequently (with a few changes). It's great as a side dish but also good with beef, pork or chicken added to make it into a main dish.

Last night I did a swiss chard parmesan au gratin that came out very nice. Subbing brok would obviously be fine.

Chop and skin the stalks to your liking, add to salted boiling water for a couple mins followed by the florets for another 3-4 min. Preheat oven to 400.

Remove broc and put in a colander about 2-3 mins, shake a bit for any remaining moisture. Layer in a shallow pyrex or whatever you use for baking.

In a pan, melt 3 tbl spoons of butter on med heat, add 3 tbl of flour, stir until smooth, add about quarter to half cup of milk and then 3 or 4 tbl spoons of any or combo of grated parm, romano, pecorino and mix well for a min. Pour over broc, add a layer of breadcrumbs. (I had some day old sesame topped semolina which worked great). Bake for about 30 min or until crumbs are golden.

That wasn't chicken

A while back, maggiethecat posted a link to this recipe from the NY Times for broccoli with toasted garlic and oyster sauce. I've been making it frequently (with a few changes). It's great as a side dish but also good with beef, pork or chicken added to make it into a main dish.

I had forgotten all about that. We did it with mushrooms as a side, but oyster sauce and broccoli are a classic. That was a steak side for many years.

My absolute favourite way of cooking broccoli is roasted with cloves of garlic on high heat, till it gets brown around the edges. It's so good that I can't make it very often, because I'll eat it like candy - couple heads of it in one sitting - and leave only a few measly crumbs for the husband.

Broccoli and tarragon match very well. Try steaming the broccoli with fresh tarragon. You could also make a tarragon beurre blanc to top it.

I agree wholeheartedly! Tarragon is the 'secret' ingredient in my cream of broccoli soup. And, it's an wonderful pairing in many other dishes.

I like to steam it until tender and then run it through the coarse disk of the food mill with some softened garlic and onion. If I'm counting calories, I'll keep it as is. Otherwise, folding in some cream or cheese is very nice. It's good under or alongside fish or chicken. Makes a very good WeightWatcher-friendly alternative to mashed potatoes.

--

Agree with others about roasting or sauteeing in olive oil with garlic and chili flakes. Also, love it stir fried. Another way I cook it (think I got it from a Marcella Hazan cookbook) is to poach it by barely covering it with equal parts olive oil and water (think Marcella uses mostly olive oil) and a few garlic cloves. The broccoli gets cooked over low heat until it gets really soft and the water is all gone. It is really delishous.

Split 1.5# into small flowers, #Tsbn Butter 1/4 Cup preserved lemon 1/4" dice, saute till just still crisp. Eat along side fresh Halibut and Orzo with a touch of cayenne and a grassy french olive oil. Result was nothing left.

EDIT to add: This was a first time to try this and it was just something made up after reading the above posts. It worked well. THX to all

Edited by RobertCollins (log)

Robert

Seattle

One of the early Moosewood cookbooks has a recipe for Cream of Broccoli soup that I like--I made it again recently (planted broccoli this year in my garden & it's done well) & still liked it. I made a few substitutions but no major changes to the recipe.

Edited by azurite (log)

Toss it in olive oil, spread on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, roast at 425 for about 15 minutes, squirt with juice of a lemon, toss again with half a cup of grated parm. I also love the salad Darienne references; I leave out the onions, add a tad of lemon juice and a tablespoon of sugar to the mayo. (also works with slightly plain yogurt, sans the added lemon juice)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A nice collection of ideas here. I look forward to working my way through them.

In the summer, I like a raw broccoli salad with radishes and olives, sometimes with crumbled feta or blue cheese, other times with a buttermilk dressing.

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

Last night I was sifting through some of the thousands of recipes on my computer and came across Estelle's Broccoli Puff (on page one) that I downloaded from the Recipe Source recipe archive when it was still SOAR (The Searchable Online Archive of Recipes) which I discovered via BMUG back in the early '90s when connection was via Compuserve. My, how it has grown since then.

If you can't find a different and interesting recipe for broccoli on

Recipe Source I wouldn't know where else to look.

If you go to page 13 of this list you will find another favorite of mine,

Broccoli Peanut Chicken which actually uses broccoli in two forms and is just delicious.

I also often prepare the Broccoli, Cauliflower & Carrots With Parmesan Bread Crumbs recipe on page 4.

There are several others, I love broccoli, but these are the headliners.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett