• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Cookbooks for Sous Vide/LTLT Cooking

Chris Amirault

Dale's book is out.

The link for it is here. It is A$69.95. The book is hardcover, 223 pages and covers sous vide cooking from basics up to some quite advanced restaurant dishes.

After an introductory chapter on cooking with sous vide, he covers cooking of five different classes of food: eggs, poultry & game, meat, fish, and fruit & vegetables.

From my experience, the times and temperatures given are appropriate and well within accepted safety guidelines.

The basics are covered well and recipes are clear and concise. They are accompanied by pictures showing plating of the dishes.

Dale is a trained and very experienced chef who moved into selling sous vide equipment after adopting it in his own kitchen many years ago.

He has sourced recipes from 36 other chefs as well as presenting his own take on a number of dishes.

This is possibly the first book to bridge the gap between a simple presentation of sous vide cooking (eg. Douglas Baldwin and Jason Lodgson's books) and the restaurant books that can verge into the complex. He does it well and the involvement of a range of chefs allows you to see their different approaches to using this cooking medium.

I enjoyed browsing through the book and will use a number of techniques from the book in my own cooking.

• Like 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

As we represent PolyScience in Australia I was mindful that we may have USA reader of our book. We have all of the measurements in metric and temperatures as C/F

I hope this helps, I also assume the text has an Australian accent but only our customers could tell you that.

Dale Prentice
Director at SousVide Australia
Http://sousvideaustralia.com

President - Australian Culinary Federation - Victoria Chapter

Probably the only thing you won't be able to find is Pademelon, which is a kind of small kangaroo. I'm Australian and I'd never heard of it either. The recipe says to substitute kangaroo but you could just as easily substitute venison for a very similar texture and flavour profile.

The book has recipes from all around the world, including ones from Nathan Myhrvold, Wylie Dufresene, J. Kenji-Lopez-Alt, Brad Farmerie, and so on. I don't think you'd be either frustrated in not having availability of ingredients nor disappointed.

• Like 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

• 9 months later...

Dale's book had two reviews on Amazon before it became unavailable. Might we hope to see At Home with Sous Vide again? 

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Dale's book had two reviews on Amazon before it became unavailable. Might we hope to see At Home with Sous Vide again? 

Hi Batard, it is on Amozon here http://www.amazon.com/Home-Sous-Vide-Dale-Prentice/dp/0987526324 please let me know if it appears unavailble somewhere and I will see if I can fix it or remove that listing.

Dale Prentice

The price of $90 seems a bit high for a such book. It would be nice to have at least a chance to have some kind of preview and/or some serious reviews

But that is not an Amazon.com price. That is a reseller price and the book is coming from Australia. In other words Amazon.com is not offering this book. At least that is the way I am reading it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

But that is not an Amazon.com price. That is a reseller price and the book is coming from Australia. In other words Amazon.com is not offering this book. At least that is the way I am reading it.

Yes that is right, the price includes the $27 postage as Amazon only includes $3 postage and this does not cover airpost from Australia. We are not big enough to ship it to Amazon for them to redistribute.
  • Like 1

Dale Prentice

I'd really like to own this book, but it's hard for me to swallow the $27.00 shipping fee. But I hope it does very well, and will soon have a USA distribution point. Thanks very much. 

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Dale's book is one of the better SV books I have.  It has a good instructional section and lots of interesting recipes including some from guest chefs.  It is illustrated with good quality colour photography (unlike most SV books) and I have cooked several recipes from it with success.

I understand the reservation of adding $27 postage, but if you can overlook that it is a good book which is easy to recommend.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen/used the British book on sous vide by Alex Shannon and Chris Holland? If so, please share your thoughts. It is self published by a company that makes Sous Vide equipment and hence tends to push some of that equipment especially the Smoking Gun. Despite this shortcoming I find it an interesting read.

It is available on Amazon.com and is called Sous Vide - The Art of Precision Cooking.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog