• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Language People Use to Describe Spirits

Chris Hennes

I think the word 'smooth' in reference to spirits is akin to saying a work of art is 'interesting.' There are too many factors that go into making something smooth. At the risk of offending some (apologies) I'd say that describing a spirit or cocktail as smooth is the lazy way out.

I agree, if the person stops at smooth and says nothing else. To me, non pro taster that I am, "smoothness" is about a rough mouthfeel due to an overbearing sensation of alcoholic burn. That's not necessarily a bad thing either and it can be slight and pleasing within the balance of the spirit or completely out of whack and over the top. It doesn't necessarily correspond to alcohol content in my experience, though I don't know why.

An anecdote: A friend of mine came into possession of two bottles of Hirsch Small Batch Reserve, a 25yr and a 28yr. I expected the 28yr to be "smoother," thinking that more time in the barrel would smooth off some of the edges in the whiskey, like it does say with Laphroaig 15yr as opposed to 10yr. It was the opposite though. I was surprised that I thought the 28yr to be a bit less smooth than the 25yr. There was a sharpness to the mouthfeel in the 28yr that wasn't there in the 25yr that made it slightly less smooth to my mind. That's not to say both aren't excellent whiskies--they are, but they were different in the smoothness department than I thought they'd be.

I wonder though what the effects of sugar are on perceptions of smoothness. I have a very dry palate and don't use a lot of sugar but one time a made a Tombstone with Wild Turkey and added 1/2t too much rich simple. I remember the cloying mouthfeel making the drink feel smoother, lacking the roughness I was looking for at the time.

nunc est bibendum...

I agree, if the person stops at smooth and says nothing else.

This is what I mean when I say 'the lazy way out.' As a bartender I often help guests that go no further in their description of something than to say 'smooth.' Sometimes it seems like they only say that so they have something to say other than 'I like it'. I do my best to insert my own thoughts about the spirit to try to coax more descriptions out of them, but it's usually a head nod and an 'I'll take one of those.'

Striving for cocktailian excellence and always learning.

What about "complex"? I've been accused of using that word too much, and I sometimes wonder if it's true. The word always means something good in my book; "confused" would be the negative version.

To me, something that is "confused" would still be "complex" in an absolute sense, but there would be a lack of harmony in the flavors present. A mix of Campari, Genevieve, Frangelico, and espresso is going to be complex on some level, but is unlikely to taste very good due to a lack of harmony or coherence in the components.

I'm not sure I've ever tasted a neat spirit I would describe as confused. Any ready examples?

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Some people (not me) have had responses to batavia arrack van Oosten and Smith & Cross rum that I think might qualify as "confused," or "incoherent," or "inharmonious."

To me that sounds more like a lack of familiarity with what raw distillate tastes like. Certainly most people would not qualify these products as "smooth", delicious though they are.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman