• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ludlow Food Festival

Anyone going to Ludlow?

I know there are more than a few fans on here.

Hosting Note: Click here for the guidelines under which this event is listed at the eGullet Forums.

Edited by LindaK
edited to add event policy link (log)

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Things are not looking too good my end either, as this coming week is one of my busiest of the year.

I would love to go because I've heard so many good things about it.

Still there must be a saviour on here who can post a review.

Fingers crossed.

@d_goodfellow1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am sorry to report we did not make it due to business commitments, but looking forward to any reports,

Yes we are venturing down Ludlow this weekend, so I will post on our return

Sorry if I appear pushy, did you enjoy yourselves?

Worth the visit?

@d_goodfellow1

Hi apologies for the tardy response and the brevity of what follows and indeed the spelling . Laptop is dead so writing this on an iPod which as some will know, you have to have the digits of a one year old to use. Weather was awful last Friday but that didn't deter a bloody good turn out. lots of good demos in the olive sponsored tent. Will Holland, his mentor Alan Murchison, and an excellent one from Chris Horridge. He of the ill fated Great British Menu appearance a few years back. He came across very well and talked intelligently about his craft. In fact there was a bit of a GBM reunion going on as onlooking were Daniel Clifford, kerridge? From the hand and flowers in Marlow, and Martin blunos turned up too. Also doing demos was a chap called bembridge and the guy from last years F word best restaurant - Lasan in brum. I didn't get to see all of them- I have a missus and a five year old ,so was summoned away.

I was sad to see the excellent Willo game suppliers were not around this year, but made do with buying some ecellent Jamon and Salchicon from the Bellota guys who supply Sat Bains, instead. Bloody marvellous stuff. Later on Saturday we came across the UK street food finals tucked away in the car park. Very poorly advertised and I felt for these guys as they were quite hidden away. A very eclectic group of stalls and vans selling their wares to be judged on Sunday. My five year old took to the hand dived scallops served in the shell with celeriac purée, with pancetta and herbs, which going forward, will be nice and cheap for his parents. Also on offer, some delicious home cooked food from the guys at the greengages van, some wonderful churros elsewhere. A tiny fish and chips stall was doing well and oddly, there was one van cled the Chipper, selling just that. I mention this as on Sunday they were judged by Mark Hix, Thomasina miers and sadly Antony Worral "Gimli" Thompson. Don't worry- I didn't twat the latter, but was sorely tempted. MPW was also supposed the to be judging but went AWOL bless him.

I spoke to the Chase vodka guys again this year. The product is eponymously named after the owner of the Tyrells company and produce an excellent drink from, yep, potatoes. Apparently, it takes 32 pounds of them to make one bottle.They recently won a competition in las Vegas being voted world's best vodka, which I assume pissed the Russian and Finns off. I not a spirit drinker, but really rather liked it, it's not bloody cheap though.

All in all a thoroughly pleasant way to spend a weekend, eating far too much with the odd tipple here and there. Nowt wrong with that in my book.

Chatting so

Edited by Bapi (log)

All in all a thoroughly pleasant way to spend a weekend, eating far too much with the odd tipple here and there. Nowt wrong with that in my book.

An enjoyable read and good insight into the weekend.

Good to see a high attendance of top chefs, and typical of MPW to do a disappearing act, he does not change.

Any game on sale? especially grouse?

Ta.

@d_goodfellow1

Oh dear, apologies again for the dire spelling above. The bloody thing won't let me edit properly. Gary- the only time I came close to that amount at the Church was with you, pre Hibiscus a few years back! As you will soon find out mate, you won't be allowed now that the little fella is here!

David- sadly I didn't see any others suppliers within the castle grounds, where the festival is held. I went to the only butchers open on Sunday to buy some flesh, but there was no game available.

A short report (copied from my blog, sorry, bit busy: pics & links too http://nickloman.wordpress.com/2010/09/19/abergavenney-food-festival/ ) on Abergavenny food fest:

Abergavenny – along with Ludlow – is one of the biggest food festivals in the calendar, and happily very easily reached from our Birmingham base. Over a hundred stallholders colonise this small Welsh borders town, spreading themselves over 6 locations. There doesn’t seem to be a unifying theme to the stallholders, but there are plenty of local producers representing the Welsh harvest; cheese, lamb and mutton, shellfish, venison, beef, apples, etc.

But I have to say the festival has gotten so large now it may unfortunately be a victim of its own success. On Saturday when we went the crowds were excessive, making it hard to walk from location to location without pushing or being pushed. The covered market was periodically closed due to overcrowding. There was very little seating and so it felt a bit like hard work, unable to take a relaxed, grazing approach. I like to have the opportunity to chat more with stallholders but the queues made this difficult. If you do fancy going, I suggest the Friday or the Sunday might be a better bet.

A few highlights:

* Trealy Farm Charcuterie – These guys make amazing charcuterie made in Monmouthshire. We treated ourselves to their own air-dried ham, semi-cured sausages and chorizo. These guys really know their stuff – the best charcuterie you will find outside of France or Spain – it is well worth seeking out, or ordering online.

* Bellota – their imported tins of beech-smoked mackerel are revelatory, ideal served as a tapa.

* The “Raclette” Stand – serving a melted raclette-style cheese called Ogle Shield over potatoes and gherkins

* Cafe Spice Namaste – a London based restaurant serving up masala dhosa to the hungry crowd

* Claws Shellfish – impeccably fresh dressed crabs served up by a man not dissimilar to Tony Soprano

There is also an event programme, we went to see Valentine Warner and Richard Bertinet do a cooking demo. They opted to do apple desserts. Valentine was a bit subdued but luckily Richard, once the crowd had tuned into his thick French accent managed to engage the crowd. I feel a bit sorry for the stooge who was taught unsuccessfully to knead dough the French way, but it was entertaining.

Edited by nickloman (log)