• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Battle of the refrigerator-freezer designs

kalypso

I have had a fridge of every design expept for the French-door. My preference is overwhelmingly for the side-by-side. I use my freezer a LOT and it is simply more organizable than the big box drawer on the bottom where everything is shoved in together. My side-by-side has all these handy shelves that cry out for organization.

I also have two free standing upright freezers and another refrigerator-only fridge in the garage. (I seem to be a bit food obsessive.)

I have a Maytag side by side only they call it a "wide by side". The freezer side

angles out to create a wider bottom than top while the fridge side does the opposite.

I hate it. Every night I say a little prayer that when I get up in the morning it will have gone the way of the built-in ice-maker which died a long time ago. The fridge I lust after is the French door top, and two freezer drawers on the bottom and NO ice maker.

Think of where you are going to put the Thanksgiving turkey in a side by side with the bottom freezer. Have had a bottom freezer with just one door and replaced it with another after 24 years. Unless you go to separate units think of where you are going to put a large pot.

I went to my local "scratch and dent" appliance store yesterday.

Glad I did.

The websites all list the Kitchenaid models I favor as being 71.5" tall. A tight fit, but within the 1/2"

tolerance from the manual.

I measured one at the store -- 72"

I think I'll just buy a sub-zero -- they use the least amount of energy, saving money in the long run.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

We purchased a new refrigerator in May.

Our old fridge was terrible. 17 cu.ft. freezer on top standard refrigerator. No bells and whistles, just a drawer in the bottom and ice trays in the freezer.

When searching for a new one we took a lot into account. My sister has a freezer on bottom, single door on top. I hate her freezer - it's impossible to get in and out of. My in-laws have a side-by-side. It's doesn't fit a large pizza box and the freezer is taken-over by the ice maker.

Our new refrigerator is like a dream come true. It's french doors on top, freezer drawer on bottom. The ice maker is tucked away and doesn't take up much space and the two basket drawers are large enough to hold everything we need. The fridge itself has 4 drawers, one of which is moveable and the shelves are very versatile. The doors themselves can store about as much as our old refrigerator's entire capacity (not quite) including a gallon of milk.

I think the perfect refrigerator is going to be different for every person.. but this is definitely mine!

v3dIT.jpg

We purchased a new refrigerator in May.

Please share the make and model with us! :smile:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's a Whirlpool, the exact model is GX5SHDXVQ02. After doing some internet searching I've found that they don't make it anymore but it's closest to this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04602139000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=04602139000P

Thank you. I keep sorta hoping my 'fridge will die soon.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog