• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rustic, roadside dive with great jambalaya or gumbo near New Orleans?

judyfoodie

I am looking for a roadside shack type place with a lot of rustic charm which makes great jambalaya or gumbo to shoot a short video at. Must be within short driving distance from New Orleans since we'll be there shooting other stuff.

Any ideas please???

Dunno how far is too far for you, but Chester's Cypress Inn is the epitome of side-of-the-road south Louisiana. Not sure what's on the menu these days, but it has a reputation for excellent fried frogs' legs and good fried chicken. It's on Hwy 20 (aka the Bayou Black Rd), near Chacahoula, LA (between Houma & Morgan City, off of the modern, elevated US 90). Article on Chester's here.

Chester's looks really cool. I need to go there. Not sure what type of look you are after, but if it isn't Chester's maybe the Crab Trap in Frenier would do, quite a different setup. Seems to be more deck than shack, reminds me a little of the of FloriBama. More of a boiled seafood and bbq place than gumbo and jambalaya also. Hard to beat Chester's though.

Thanks for the responses. But really need a gumbo or jambalaya place. I want to shoot the prep/cooking process and dont want to do any frying. Also, one hours drive from New Orleans would probably be the top end of distance from New Orleans. Sorry to be so specific. Just that with my crew, they'll have been shooting for several very long days up to the point we'd shoot this food segment(!) But really many thanks and if you have any other ideas, I'd appreciate it. :-)

And it can't be in the City? There is Restaurant Des Familles in Marrero. Hardly a shack, but it oozes Louisiana bayou, if that helps. For good background, our own TA Price did a nice article about them for the paper. The other place that came to mind is Le Citron Bistro on Religious Street. Its in a really old building, and has pretty rustic vibe going on. It is somewhat out of the way. I know the chef pretty well if you are interested.

Sorry to break your heart, but I can't think of a single place with good jambalaya or gumbo that fits your picturesque ideal of "shack" and would be interested in someone filming in the kitchen. Why does it have to be a "shack" for pete's sake? Pardon me while I wash the deep south & backward Louisiana cliches out of my eyes. Good jambalaya is hard enough to find in a restaurant kitchen.

Cafe Reconcile's picturesque, isn't it? It has good gumbo, too.