• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

judyfoodie

Rustic, roadside dive with great jambalaya or gumbo near New Orleans?

8 posts in this topic

I am looking for a roadside shack type place with a lot of rustic charm which makes great jambalaya or gumbo to shoot a short video at. Must be within short driving distance from New Orleans since we'll be there shooting other stuff.

Any ideas please???

Dunno how far is too far for you, but Chester's Cypress Inn is the epitome of side-of-the-road south Louisiana. Not sure what's on the menu these days, but it has a reputation for excellent fried frogs' legs and good fried chicken. It's on Hwy 20 (aka the Bayou Black Rd), near Chacahoula, LA (between Houma & Morgan City, off of the modern, elevated US 90). Article on Chester's here.

Chester's looks really cool. I need to go there. Not sure what type of look you are after, but if it isn't Chester's maybe the Crab Trap in Frenier would do, quite a different setup. Seems to be more deck than shack, reminds me a little of the of FloriBama. More of a boiled seafood and bbq place than gumbo and jambalaya also. Hard to beat Chester's though.

Thanks for the responses. But really need a gumbo or jambalaya place. I want to shoot the prep/cooking process and dont want to do any frying. Also, one hours drive from New Orleans would probably be the top end of distance from New Orleans. Sorry to be so specific. Just that with my crew, they'll have been shooting for several very long days up to the point we'd shoot this food segment(!) But really many thanks and if you have any other ideas, I'd appreciate it. :-)

And it can't be in the City? There is Restaurant Des Familles in Marrero. Hardly a shack, but it oozes Louisiana bayou, if that helps. For good background, our own TA Price did a nice article about them for the paper. The other place that came to mind is Le Citron Bistro on Religious Street. Its in a really old building, and has pretty rustic vibe going on. It is somewhat out of the way. I know the chef pretty well if you are interested.

Sorry to break your heart, but I can't think of a single place with good jambalaya or gumbo that fits your picturesque ideal of "shack" and would be interested in someone filming in the kitchen. Why does it have to be a "shack" for pete's sake? Pardon me while I wash the deep south & backward Louisiana cliches out of my eyes. Good jambalaya is hard enough to find in a restaurant kitchen.

Cafe Reconcile's picturesque, isn't it? It has good gumbo, too.

sorry if I was offensive in any way. Do not mean to imply backwards or anything as you suggest.

Its just that I love down home cooking and find little family run places more charming than those sleek white table clothed ones.

What about the Rivershack on river road? I have not eaten there in awhile, but I am sure they cook gumbo and or jambalaya as a special every now and then.

http://www.therivershacktavern.com

• Similar Content

• By HoneyMustard
      Pennstation's Honey Mustard taste so good, but they don't sell it in stores like Big Boy Frisch's sells their tartar sauce.

I am assuming they buy it in bulk from a certain name brand. Does anyone know what that brand is or at least a similar Honey Mustard recipe?
    • By Darienne
      Pannukakku has become a new favorite in the McAuley household. (LCBO Food & Wine, winter season 2016).  We've been using Maple Syrup...made with DH's help in a local sugar shack...but the recipe actually calls for birch syrup.

Does anyone know where to buy it in Ontario?  Any grocery stores carry it?  Specialty stores?  Toronto? What about in the Cambridge/Kitchener/Waterloo area?

Thanks.
    • By cyalexa
      Salsa Para Enchiladas  
      3 ancho chiles
      2 New Mexico chiles
      2 chipotle chiles
      1 clove garlic, sliced
      2 TB flour
      2 TB vegetable oil
      1 tsp vinegar
      ¾ tsp salt
      ¼ tsp dried oregano
      2 cups broth, stock, or (filtered) chili soaking liquid
      Rinse, stem and seed chiles. Place in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil. Cover and remove from heat and let soften and cool. While the chiles are cooling, gently sauté garlic slices in oil until they are soft and golden brown. Remove the garlic from the oil, with a slotted spoon and reserve. Make a light roux by adding the flour to the oil and sautéing briefly. Drain the chilies and puree them with the garlic slices and half of the liquid. Strain the puree back into the saucepan. Pour the remainder of the liquid through the sieve to loosen any remaining chili pulp. Add the roux to the saucepan and whisk to blend. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan, bring to a boil then and simmer 15-20 minutes. Taste and add additional salt and vinegar if necessary.
    • By JAZ
      In this topic on sweet potato salad, Jaymes said (about mayonnaise):
      I have to disagree: while some cooks here in Atlanta use it, most that I know prefer Hellman's. I certainly do. Duke's is oddly sweet -- halfway to Miracle Whip, in my opinion -- and I can pick it out immediately in things like tuna or potato salad when it's used. If I were faced with the choice of Duke's or nothing on a sandwich, I think I'd have to choose the latter.
      Am I missing something? Do people really like Duke's? Are there other brands worth trying?
    • By Jambalyle
      Hi!
      Before we launched our project, I followed Melissa's remodel thread (congrats Melissa) and links to other kitchen remodel threads and I am continually awed by the inspiration and recommendations offered by the eGullet community during those projects. I want to get a piece of that action during our remodel.
      Demolition began on June 20, with an estimated 6-month project duration. The impetus for our remodel was the addition of a master bedroom and bath to transform our tiny 2 BR 1 BA into a modest 3BR 2BA. In addition, we are transforming and expanding the back of the house to create a "great" room that will combine a new kitchen, dining and family room.
      I will post plans and initial pictures in a subsequent post to give everyone a sense of the scope of our project. But first...
      Yesterday, we met (again) with our kitchen designers and appliance people to hammer out our appliance wants, needs, and desires. Here is where we netted out:
      Range – Wolf 48” R486C (6 burner, grill), w/ Island trim (is trim necessary?)
      Hood – Independent 27” x 54” Incline INHL54SS (w/ heat lamps)
      Blower – Independent CFMR1400 (external)
      Dishwasher – Miele Platinum edition G2150SCSS
      Microwave – GE Monogram 1.0 CF Stainless ZEM200SF
      Refrigerator – GE Monogram 42” built-in Stainless w/dispenser – ZISS420DRSS
      Beverage Center – GE Monogram 24” Stainless ZDBC240NBS (we're not willing to pay $600 more for privacy glass feature!)
      Sink – Franke 30”x18”x9” Stainless under mount
      Anyway... we would love to get some reaction to our selections before they hit the SOLD key on the cash register! Thanks! -Lyle
      PS: I know the Wolf is wimpy at 16,000 BTU per burner, but are there other reasons I should reconsider?