• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday dinner in NYC

smilingal

my fingers are crossed - we are on their waitlist - but no luck as of yet :( - that is my first choice as well - so let me ask again - taking that one out of the equation - degustation or Union Square?

Union Square is solid, but not at all groundbreaking. Service will be excellent and the experience overall very good, but the food at Degustation is much better. So if you're going for a foodie experience, I'd take Degustation over USC every time. Get one of the tasting menus. However, if the niceties are more important to you, then USC may have more of an occasion-type dining experience.

thanks to you all - we enjoyed a great dinner at USC - the service was great as you said, and the food was very very good. A lovely experience. We also went for a drink before dinner at Flatiron Lounge - also a great place to experience. Terrific unique drinks.

I am thinking that I will attempt Degustation with my family for my daughters birthday in the next week or two - we will be at least 5 or 6 - so we will be a majority of the seating around the bar - that might be fun. One of these days I've got to get there! OTR - the show Memphis was terrific as well!