• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday dinner in NYC

smilingal

I would love to hear a list of those that wish to share of your top 5 restaurants in NYC. I have been thinking of trying Babbo but have read recent reviews by unhappy people. Would love to try Per Se but think that I probably shouldn't be spending that budget! I had heard some great stuff about degustation but not sure of that bar atmosphere for a birthday dinner - altho it could be a fun time - but don't know about it. Would really appreciate your input and suggestions - and as soon as you can - this dinner is this Sunday - which of course also means that a reservation might be a tough get. TIA

Just reading about Valbella - any feedback?

Edited by smilingal (log)

Le Bernadin and 11 Madison Park park will probably be on a few of those lists. Gramercy Tavern is really nice for a birthday dinner.

On a different level, we just had 2 pretty damn good meals at Lupa.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I would love to hear a list of those that wish to share of your top 5 restaurants in NYC. I have been thinking of trying Babbo but have read recent reviews by unhappy people. Would love to try Per Se but think that I probably shouldn't be spending that budget! I had heard some great stuff about degustation but not sure of that bar atmosphere for a birthday dinner - altho it could be a fun time - but don't know about it. Would really appreciate your input and suggestions - and as soon as you can - this dinner is this Sunday - which of course also means that a reservation might be a tough get. TIA

My favorite NYC restaurants are: Eleven Madison Park, Bouley, Momofuku Ko and Per Se. EMP is closed on Sundays. Bouley, Ko and Per Se, while open on Sundays, may not have availability on such short notice; you will need to call the restaurants directly. Ko reservations are available only via their website (no phone calls).

Also, this coming Sunday (the 5th) is Labor Day as well and some restaurants which are normally open on Sundays may be taking the weekend off.

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I went to Babbo for my birthday this year and loved it. Its funny because I had just gotten back from a trip to Italy days before my birthday and thought maybe a trip to Babbo or any italian place not in Italy would be disappointing but I was really pleasantly surprised. The pasta dish, gnocchi was so light and perfect and the other dishes were all fantastic. The service was also very attentive without being overly intrusive.

If you could get out of town....... Blue Hill Stone Barns is absolutely fabulous. Nice day trip and meal. I took some out of town friends there for a brunch and they were blown away by it all.

I had heard some great stuff about DEGUSTATION but not sure of that bar atmosphere for a birthday dinner - altho it could be a fun time - but don't know about it. Would really appreciate your input and suggestions - and as soon as you can - this dinner is this Sunday - which of course also means that a reservation might be a tough get. TIA

I had heard some great stuff about DEGUSTATION but not sure of that bar atmosphere for a birthday dinner - altho it could be a fun time - but don't know about it. Would really appreciate your input and suggestions - and as soon as you can - this dinner is this Sunday - which of course also means that a reservation might be a tough get. TIA

daisy - It is just two of us - do you think degustation would be a fun experience at the bar for a birthday? They don't take reservations - so I guess we can call when we get out of theater if there isn't anything else that falls more definitively into place. I called Gramercy - on a waitlist there.

Huh, I've definitely made a reservation at Degustation before, but I don't think it was for a Sunday. Perhaps you can explain that this is a special occasion?

Le Bernardin, Jean Georges, The Modern, and Adour are all closed on Sundays. And Adour's Open Table account says it is on its annual vacation as well.

daisy - It is just two of us - do you think degustation would be a fun experience at the bar for a birthday? They don't take reservations - so I guess we can call when we get out of theater if there isn't anything else that falls more definitively into place. I called Gramercy - on a waitlist there.

It's not a super lively place - it's small, and it's all bar/counter seating. I'd say it's more intimate than fun.

How about Locanda Verde or Marea?

Edited by daisy17 (log)

Kind of tough to compare Degustasion w/USC or Gramercy. Very different experiences. Did anyone rec Aldea? That's the one I'd like to try.

Aldea is very good - chef is floating around Spain with Johnny Iuzzini right now, though.

You know, GT also has the option of sitting in the front room without a reservation, if you so choose. Even if there's a bit of a wait, the cocktails are good and it's a nice room in which to wait.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Aldea would be closed.

Hours from their site:

Hours Closed on Sundays (AND LABOR DAY)

Lunch: Mon - Fri (11:30am - 2:00pm)

Dinner: Mon (5:30pm - 10:00pm) Tues - Thu (5:30pm - 11:00pm) Fri & Sat (5:30pm - 12:00am)

Aldea would be closed.

Hours from their site:

Hours Closed on Sundays (AND LABOR DAY)

Lunch: Mon - Fri (11:30am - 2:00pm)

Dinner: Mon (5:30pm - 10:00pm) Tues - Thu (5:30pm - 11:00pm) Fri & Sat (5:30pm - 12:00am)

Can't believe no one has mentioned L'atelier de Joel Robuchon! The food is VERY good, the service very strong, and you have a choice of sitting at the bar for a more informal (but still elegant) experience, or at a table for a more traditional one. Seems like a good choice, as it was open on Sundays at last check.

As for Degustation, I think it's excellent, but it's definitely not an occasion place. If you don't mind a more casual setup, the food is first rate, and it's very worth going to.

I'd avoid Valbella, which is really just a Meatpacking touristy/trendy joint, with no serious food cred.