• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fabulous Apple Desserts

DanM

My wife's coworker has asked me to make her a dessert for a Rosh Hashanah dinner next week. Apples are typically served on this holiday. I am looking for some suggestions for a spectacular, drool worthy dessert with apples. There should be no assembly required before serving.

Thanks!

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Dan,

I am afraid that my apple desserts are all quite regular (pie, crisp, etc) but I do use 2 things in most of them--a little boiled apple cider that I get from King Arthur Flour and a little cardamom or Grains of Paradise. The cider makes the apple flavor more intense and the spice gives it depth of flavor and complexity beyond cinnamonnutmegallspice. Good luck in finding the perfect thing.

In this free pdf, there is a recipe near the end for an apple torte/cake which I think is excellent. It's pretty much a whole lot of thinly sliced apple held together by a batter, and when it's baked the "cake" is very caramelly and delicious. I think this, served with a dollop of cream, would be an excellent dessert as it's full of apple, and yet seems a bit classy to me.

I haven't played around with things to serve with it, but I think some kind of caramel sauce could be good (maybe too sweet, not sure) or even something crunchy, some toasted nuts sprinkled on top, perhaps.

I've always had good results w/ individual servings of apple galette. 4-5" dia, cut in half for each serving. Usually, no sweetening in the apples, but caramel sauce, and vanilla gelato on the plate.

But, what about a twist on a trifle? Poached apple slices, fireball whiskey or goldschlager liqueur, sour cream coffee cake, and a little cinnamon whipped cream to top it off? You could set it up in wine or cocktail glasses for individual servings.

Karen Dar Woon

I like the Trifle idea

I have had some success with calvados syrup soaked boudoir biscuits, covered in a custard with a topping of whisked egg whites folded with apple puree served in small glasses.

Steven

Edited by codheadred (log)