• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using the iPad in the Kitchen

Chris Hennes

• 1 month later...

I use my iPad quite a bit in the kitchen and have 2 apps (in addition to the always-useful Google) that I really like.

1) Paprika

What I love about this app is that it lets me import recipes from anywhere. I used to tear out and file recipes from cooking magazines every month (I have bulging paper files and a lot of pages that have never been filed and consequently can't be found when I want them), but nowadays I have my iPad handy and when I find a recipe I like, I browse to it in Paprika, save and tag it. Very, very handy. Once I've tried a recipe, I can record notes, ingredient changes, etc. I can also email the shopping list to myself so I can have it with me in the grocery store (yeah, I could do this from the iPad, but I don't like the idea of leaving my iPad in the shopping cart when I'm sorting through produce--that seems like a recipe for theft.)

2) How to Cook Everything

I wish I could edit the recipes in this iPad version of Mark Bittman's book, but other than that I can't think of a single mean thing to say about this app. It's the first I've seen that really takes advantage of the technology instead of just showing shiny pages - the integrated timers are flipping genius. And the recipe information, including notes, variations, and tips on technique are great information.

I have a charging stand that allows the iPad to stand upright (no picture, sorry), which works well for me. I just set it up out of the reach of splatters and refer to it like I'd refer to any other cookbook.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

• 5 months later...

I'm using spreadsheets a lot in the kitchen, with weights of all ingredients scaled by the amount of a main ingredient (say, pork shoulder for a sausage). Does anyone have experience using spreadsheets with a non-iPad tablet? Both app and device recommendations are welcome.

I recently installed an airprinter for use with my ipads. It's fantastic; I find a recipe and touch print and there it is (two sided option as well). One of the best purchases ever. Now I don't have to run upstairs to my office to fetch my copies.

Mine is the HP Envy all-in-one color - connects via Wi-Fi.

I've been thinking about getting a Belkin kitchen cabinet mount for my iPad. Anyone have one and care to comment on whether you have found it useful? I mostly use it for browsing recipes on the web, rather than as a tool for organizing my own. I think if I had a better place to keep it visible but off the counter I'd use it a lot more.

I also think SousVide Dash is a pretty cool app if you do any sous vide cooking, but in the interest of full disclosure, I have to point out that I wrote it.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I just started fooling around with pepperplate.com and I think it's pretty good. I was e-mailing myself recipes found online and keeping them in a different folder but it was pretty clunky. Pepperplate (which is free, btw) has a button that gets installed in your browser and it adds recipes from some sites with just one click. For sites not supported there's a pretty nifty interface for cutting and pasting. I haven't figured out how to categorize anything yet. Then I can call that up on my iPad to use in the kitchen.