• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using the iPad in the Kitchen

Chris Hennes

In many ways, the iPad is the ideal kitchen computer, with no moving parts to get grimy, no external anything to get caught, chopped, or destroyed, and a single flat easy-to-keep-clean input surface. I basically use it purely as a web browser, I don't have any actual cooking apps installed on it, though I'm sure there are some.

Functionally, the first order of business is finding a case that is acceptable for kitchen use. This means it must be very water-resistant, must COVER all the ports (something almost no cases do, since they want you to be able to access them), and must be either easy to clean, or disposable. Enter the super classy, always-high-tech solution invented by our good friends at Ziploc:

iPad in Ziploc Bag.jpg

Seriously, after considering all the other cases I could find, this was the best (and cheapest!) solution. I can leave the iPad in its normal case, and just slip it into a Ziploc bag. When my wife wants it back, all I have to do to clean it is take it out and throw the bag away. Perfect.

Anyone else using their iPad as a kitchen computer? Any tips or tricks, or great apps you have found?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

If you're going to bag it, why not a sous vide iPad?

4939028493_3c4bbdca75_z.jpg

Just did it right now for kicks. I took a bad photo -- the screen is clear. Reynolds Handi-Vac bag. I actually opened it a bit and let in a tiny bit of air to let the button depress to make it usable. Just push the air bubbles and creases off of the screen to make it flat.

Edited by percival (log)

Ah I use my iPad in the kitchen primarily just to look up a recipe or notes. Grab, drop, cook, grab again. Keeps water and food gunk off, and you don't have to wash your hands. If you need a stand, just find a place to put an

I love my iPad in my kitchen. I've been using Evernote to flag recipes I want to try (you use an Evernote browser plugin or you can email your Evernote account a link and it automatically files it.) I'm slowly moving recipes I have on my computer in documents into Evernote as well. I also use the Epicurious app and I have Bittman's iPhone app but haven't cooked from it yet. And of course, there's the web.

I use an M-Edge trip folder case which is not particularly kitchen friendly as it's fabric. However I have a eating bar in my kitchen near the prep area so I put it there. Since my case doesn't include a stand my husband made me a very high-tech one out of a piece of cardboard. Works great.

ipad kitchen.jpg

ipad stand.JPG

I use my iPad in the kitchen constantly. Because I use MacGourmet, all my recipes are on my iPad. I either use it without a case, but on the keyboard dock, or I use this one, with a screen protector

in case

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Geez. I've been using my iPod touch in the kitchen for the last year entirely in the nude (it, not me). It's gotten wet, spattered with hot oil and tomato sauce, covered with chocolate fingerprints, and more. Wipes clean just fine. An iPad is just an oversized iPod touch. It's sturdier than you think.

• 1 month later...

Just found the new Culinary Fundamentals IPad app. Over 260 culinary skills videos on all sorts of kitchen techniques and processes.

So far despite setting up in metric, mine seems to have Fahrenheit measurements in the videos. Being on this site often, however, I'm somewhat used to that and will use my Ipad Convert app to turn it into metric.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I have an i-Touch and it has become a constant companion in my kitchen. On it I keep my recipes, a list of ingredients I need to use up, my shopping lists, my kitchen notebook, a list of recipes I want to try and various other notes and such. I intend to put my freezer inventory on it soon.

I love that I have a calculator and unit converter at my finger tips and can quickly google for answers to any culinary questions that arise.

I don't have any fancy stand for it but do slip it into a plastic bag to keep it from being splattered with flour, grease or what have you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else downloaded the new Gordon Ramsay Cook With Me HD app?

There are 56 recipes in all. They are coded by difficulty, season, a shopping and equipment list, and a wine suggestion.

Each recipe is presented conventionally and all have a video of Gordon cooking it himself (cleverly edited to make it brief but cover all the steps). There are also 10 cooking tip videos, covering things such as slicing an onion, making caramel, zesting citrus, etc.

On pressing the "cook this recipe," you are moved step by step through the recipe with a pictures of what needs to be done.

I like the way it is presented and suspect that we will see clones of this one in the future.

Cost is £4.99 (UK), $7.99 (US), €5.99 (Europe), and $9.99 (Australian).

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

• 3 months later...

Nope, no ipads in my kitchen. I honestly can't see why

Other than for baking, I don't use recipies. When baking, I use one of my "litle black books", which are written in my "code" of listing ingredients by order, and the weights beside them--nothing else.

Just don't "get it" with small devices like I-pads. All that informtion concentrated in such a small package--prone to dropping or worse, and destroying all that information.

Just don't "get it" with small devices like I-pads. All that informtion concentrated in such a small package--prone to dropping or worse, and destroying all that information.

I think about it exactly opposite: with a written record you have one copy, easily destroyed. The stuff I my ipad lives on the pad, the computer, and two different backups of the computer. It's far safer if the data is important.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I have a bunch of cookbooks now on my Kindle and to keep it clean in the kitchen I put it in a plastic freezer bag - Ziplock or similar and hang it at eye level wherever I am working.

The plastic is thin enough to allow the buttons to be operated even with a wet or sticky finger.

The Jumbo Hefty bags (2 1/2 gal) fit the IPad and similar type instruments.

Hint: They are much cheaper at Walmart.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I think about it exactly opposite: with a written record you have one copy, easily destroyed. The stuff I my ipad lives on the pad, the computer, and two different backups of the computer. It's far safer if the data is important.

I'm with Chris, only I've taken to keeping all my recipes & notes in Evernote. There's no way I can lose it, I can easily add notes and modify them cleanly (no crossed out notes or corrections), print out or email recipes when people ask for them, and I have my recipes with me everywhere. It's great to be sitting at my computer, read a new recipe, hit one button and it's in my "recipes to try" folder. Then next time I'm at the grocery store and happen to remember that recipe, I can whip out my phone, bring up Evernote and there it is, I can pick up any necessary ingredients. When I get home, it's on my iPad in the kitchen and I cook from it.

I can't imagine going back to pen & paper. This is so much easier. The only problem at all is I sometimes have to tear the iPad out of my husband's hands because he's trying to web surf while I'm cooking!

I wouldn't touch food that was served on anything that couldn't be sterilized.

That entire concept is insane. Are you sure that wasn't an April Fool joke?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett