• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

South Louisiana Culinary Tour 2010

lukestar

Well my wife and I made a trip to New Orleans this past week for our hope to be, yearly Culinary Tour. These are the restaurants we were privileged to dine at. Can't say we had a bad meal on the trip and I probably don't need to eat for about 2 weeks. We drove down from Shreveport so this was our agenda.

Monday - Prejean's in Lafayette Very good Seafood Gumbo and Shrimp Poboy. A+

Tuesday - Cafe Du Monde - Beniet's and cafe au lait for breakfast...I'm just not a fan...Drago's for lunch, Can't go to NOLA without having Drago's Charbroiled Oysters. Also the best Oyster Poboy I've ever eaten. A+

Bacco's for Dinner, had the Bacco Shrimp which is their version of BBQ Shrimp, Excellent! A++. My wife had the Lobster Ravioli, Excellent! A++

Wednesday - Cochon for Lunch, Pork stuffed Bell Pepper was great. A++. For dinner, Dickie Brennan's Steak House. Probably our least favorite meal while in New Orleans. We had the Roasted Tomato Soup first, tasted like it came out of a can. For the main course we had the BBQ Ribeye which has BBQ Shrimp over the Ribeye. Decent but not as good as it should have been for the price. C+

Thursday - Central Grocery Muffeletta for lunch. Don't shoot me but I'm not a big fan of CG. To me their bread is always stale. I've had better muffelettas. C-

Friday - Lunch at Mothers, Love their Ferdi Special Poyboys. A. For Dinner back to Cochon's. Had the Smoked Brisket with Horseradish Potato Salad and an order of smothered green. Great meal. The gravy with the brisket is drinkable.A+

Saturday - Commander's Palace Brunch. IMHO you just can't go to NOLA without eating brunch at CP...For starters I had the Chicken and Andouille Gumbo, very rich and maybe the best Gumbo I have ever had. For the entree I had the Cochon de lait with eggs over biscuits. My wife had the Pecan Crusted Grouper. Both were great. For desert I had the Pecan Pie with a scoop of ice cream and my wife had the Bread Pudding Souffle with Bourbon Sauce. Both were great as well. I also had a couple of Bloody Mary's with my meal and CP has the best Bloody Mary's in NOLA. A++

It was a great trip and hopefully we will be able to do it again next year and hit a few of the restaurants we didn't get to hit this time. Let's see, Herbsaint's, Brigtsen's, Stella, Restaurant August, Luke...