• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green bell peppers

JAZ

I like them, too, and although I also am enamored of the current chile pepper darling, Hatch (and in fact, all chile peppers), sometimes nothing will do but that good ol' favorite Green Bell.

:smile:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

As a child, I was occasionally served stuffed green bell peppers by my working mother. Quick and simple was the primary consideration around evening meals.

As an adult, I have never had a problem with bell peppers. I enjoy them raw, and frequently included a few slices in my lunch - along with carrots, celery, radishes, and cucumber slices. Now it is possible to include various colors of bell peppers in my cooking. I don't recall ever seeing anything but green as a child. Perhaps my frugal mother just didn't buy them.

To this day, raw or cooked bell peppers are a frequent part of our meals. No one in our family has ever voiced any distaste for them, but I am the primary consumer of raw bell peppers on a relish plate in our home.

Now it is possible to include various colors of bell peppers in my cooking. I don't recall ever seeing anything but green as a child. Perhaps my frugal mother just didn't buy them.

Nope, I think they simply were not around. Well not in Quebec or Ontario, anyway.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We love 'em.

Of course, we stuff them with a very rich mixture of beef/cheese/spices when we have a bunch.

They also go nice with my 'steamed pasta' dish, in which I simply steam a bunch of sliced veggies over a pot of cooking pasta, and toss it with some garlicy coconut milk.

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

I used to love green peppers when they had taste - nice and pungent. For over 10 years, all the green peppers I've tried have been tasteless, no matter where they've come from, including locally grown (FL and NC). When I lived in NYC (until the end of 1998), they were delicious.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

• 10 months later...

Im not one to rain on anyones parade nor dinner

I cant stand green bell peppers. there it is. they are just undercultivated red peppers that provide the farmer with earlier profits or the only profit is they cant be taken to maturity.

there.

but if you got em and like them well that's a different story.

consider this how much better would be your dinner with a ripe red bell?

anyway each to its own.

:blink:

for me its not the issue of "green" it that taste that I @)RRT(^#R%^_

chile green stuffed are very differnt

I love Hot Green Chile but those are not under ripe bells.

we love what we love but them after consider ration:

there is a lot of Yuck!

It's funny how green bell peppers evoke such strong emotions... my mother can't stand them either.

To me they don't taste very different from poblanos. Maybe it's like that cilantro thing where certain people have a trigger or something in their DNA?

On the greens being immature reds... this goes for any chile, right? Thai bird chiles, for instance - the greens are younger than the reds. However they are both necessary.

I enjoy both green and red bell peppers. But I find the red peppers much sweeter. To my mind the green peppers have a bitter, more earthy & complex taste. Not hugely so of course - we're talking about green bell peppers. It goes without saying: YMMV.

Edited by patrickamory (log)

I love cilantro cant stand green bell's if I didnt know any better Id never think green bells are in anyway related to red bells. taste wize :wacko:

I like both green and red chile as a mater of fact probably the green more than the ripe red.

Most bell peppers start out green and change color when they ripen. Some go red, but you can also buy yellow, orange, white, chocolate and purple bell, and they are all the same species, capsicum annuum.

Some hot peppers are also capsicum annuum--Anaheims and jalapenos, for example.

sparrowgrass

interesting didnt know the anaheim was related closely to the Bell

I like anaheim and jalepeno, especially if the heat has not be bread oout of them

to me they are very different than the green belll in taste

green bell = :wacko::blink:

heat at the end of the growing season helps a lot. I used to grow them in New England !

those in the "mass" supermarket are almost flavorless less they Offend!

not in Mexican markets thou

i still with green thai birds from Indian Markets!

:wub: