• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Behind the Scenes @ Trader Joe's

baroness

Thank you, baroness, for the link. That makes for good reading. I found TJs in 1978 via my father-in-law and started going there for the wine and beer.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Yes I also remember the original location at about the same time as Porthos in Pasadena, California mostly for the weekly wine run and as I recall foggily, a good price on whole almonds. I can attest that the HQ is very very ordinary looking in a commercial strip mall kind of location- though there is a lovely view of the mountains. Very customer service and team work oriented. Just got my TJ circular in the mail today printed on recycled paper with cutesy blurbs and cartoons about new or featured products such as Trader potato tots, masala lentil dip, Iberico cheese from La Mancha at $8.99/lb, 8 oz. packets of fully cooked beets from France, and Greek style chicken with orzo, spinach and feta.

I was a student at UCLA for a brief time in the late 70's, and there was a Pronto Market (the precursor to TJ's) in Westwood Village, not too far from campus. As a dorm resident, it was *the* place to go for munchies, wine and alcohol....they were rather liberal in the sales of the latter, as I recall, but of course, I looked well over 21, and in fact, I was. Barely. It was a regular stop on my rounds of the village.

I've been a fan of TJ's ever since. In my hometown, I've watched them go from one, incredibly crowded and esoteric outlet to, at last count 4, very efficient, but still esoteric stores. TJ's in some form or another has seen me through several jobs (close enough to bop over for quick lunch goodies), to my development as a foodie (much though I hate that term....).

Today, just as an example, I ran over to the one closest to me for wine, and found BEAUTIFUL Adriatic (green) figs for $2.99 a pound !! Also some amazing (and flavorful) heirloom tomatoes also for $2.99 a pound. Cheaper than the local Farmer's Markets and both absolutely unavailable at the mega-marts. With some TJ's prosciutto, the figs are lunch for the next few days, and the tomatoes, at least some of them, are destined for BLAT sandwiches for dinner tomorrow.

As noted in the article, the employees are pleasant and helpful, the refund policy no question, and the quality usually off the charts. The only gripe I have is that they will often discontinue an item when their agreement with the supplier expires, or if the jobber run of the product is gone. It's a real bummer when you get hooked on something, and then it's *poof* gone forever.

I also just love their business model, and that they respect and value all of their employees.

Gladly I give them the majority of my food shopping dollars.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

The only gripe I have is that they will often discontinue an item when their agreement with the supplier expires, or if the jobber run of the product is gone. It's a real bummer when you get hooked on something, and then it's *poof* gone forever.

I completely agree. It's very "Costco-like" of them. Both store franchises will get something in and then when it's gone, it's gone for good.

I still mourn the loss of Tamari Cashews at Trader Joe's. :angry:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The only gripe I have is that they will often discontinue an item when their agreement with the supplier expires, or if the jobber run of the product is gone. It's a real bummer when you get hooked on something, and then it's *poof* gone forever.

I completely agree. It's very "Costco-like" of them. Both store franchises will get something in and then when it's gone, it's gone for good.

I still mourn the loss of Tamari Cashews at Trader Joe's. :angry:

Oh, me too! I had to put them in a sealed container on a high shelf so I wouldn't consume them all at one sitting. I would put some in one of the "little dishes" I use for prep that held less than a 1/4 cup and that was my limit...

My store also no longer has the orange-flavored dried cranberries, sugar free. I loooved those.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett