• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Florida Virgin Reforms

Abra

I've never been to Florida, and always joked about staying a Florida virgin all my life. But now, I find that in mid-October I will be spending one night each in St. Petersburg, St. Augustine, and Cocoa Beach. What shouldn't I miss? We'd be looking for the best of typical Florida fare, not stuff I can get in Seattle or any big city.

St. Augustine is known to have a large Minorcan cultural presence, which in food terms translates into the preponderance of the datil pepper. Most local seafoods spots feature a "Minorcan clam chowder," which is essentially Manhattan clam chowder + datil pepper. I would also suggest picking up a bottle of datil pepper sauce on the way out of town, if feasible. There's a great little hot sauce shop on St. George street.

If you want to go less traditional, the Columbia Restaurant, also on St. George street, is a good example of Cuban-influenced (if I recall correctly) Spanish cuisine, especially for lunch.