• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Uncle Ben's Whole Grain WHITE rice

Toliver

It's not really a ready-to-eat item so I thought I would post this in the Cooking-Ingredient forum.

Uncle Ben's brand rice has introduced a new whole grain white rice.

I'm a little confused as to how it has ended up as white rice. The ingredient list begins with:

WHOLE GRAIN WHITE RICE [PARTIALLY MILLED PARBOILED BROWN RICE, RICE BRAN AND GERM]

I assumed any whole grain rice would be a brown rice. So is this a bleached brown rice then? Or am I just misunderstanding the concept of whole grain rice?

I am curious as to the flavor. I'm not a fan of brown rice (it tastes a little too much like oatmeal to me) but I do like white rice. And if this product tastes like white rice but has fiber then it sounds like a better product than just regular white rice.

And has anyone tried it?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My wife and I have been enjoying the relatively new Gen-Ji-Mai rice, available at all of our local SoCal Japanese grocery stores. Neither of us are brown rice fans, but this new type allows us to "feel" like we're being a bit healthier (am taking their health claims with a big grain of salt).

It's flavor does not approach that of brown rice -- it's just a bit nutty -- and the texture is pretty close to your typical short-grain white rice. In short, it's pretty good stuff!

I assume the Uncle Ben's uses the same exact milling process, and then just parboils the rice.

P.S. w00t, post number 500! That only took 7 years, 7 months, and 17 days :blink: eGullet's most regularly inconsistent poster...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.