• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help identifying type of frosting

Darienne

A dear friend who makes doggy cakes sent me a link and asked me if I knew what I thought the topping was. Go to bottom of the web page, lower right hand side and click on "Cupcakes". Unfortunately, I'm not much of a baker. I thought it might be a piped meringue of some sort.

Experienced baker, Kerry Beal, thinks it's butter cream.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Edited by heidih
Replace photo with link re copyright (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

A dear friend who makes doggy cakes sent me a link and asked me if I knew what I thought the topping was. Go to bottom of the web page, lower right hand side and click on "Cupcakes". Unfortunately, I'm not much of a baker. I thought it might be a piped meringue of some sort.

Experienced baker, Kerry Beal, thinks it's butter cream.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

I doubt it would be a meringue only because they're usually hard and I don't think that would go very well on a cupcake.

It does look like it could be a decadent and well-piped butter cream.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

That website has a cookbook that would have the recipe in it. It's calledBaked and it should be in your library. I'm trying to remember...I think their white icing was a recipe that began with milk and flour but I could be mistaken.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I'm with Kerry on that...especially because all of the other cakes have buttercream, and they are most likely to use what they already make rather than make something completely different.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I found the frosting recipe on Oprah's site and it does have flour and milk in it. I'm sure for vanilla you could just leave out the cinnamon.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 7 months later...

I was checking out the sweet and salty cake recipe from this book (Baked by Matt L and Renato P), and the classic chocolate cake layer recipe calls for a 1/4 cup of vegetable shortening. What properties does shortening confer on the finished product? And will replacing it with 1/4 cup of butter affect the final cake texture?

Most of the cake recipes in the book call for that 1/4 cup of shortening.

Thanks,

lt

I was checking out the sweet and salty cake recipe from this book (Baked by Matt L and Renato P), and the classic chocolate cake layer recipe calls for a 1/4 cup of vegetable shortening. What properties does shortening confer on the finished product? And will replacing it with 1/4 cup of butter affect the final cake texture?

Most of the cake recipes in the book call for that 1/4 cup of shortening.

Thanks,

lt

Butter has a higher water content but because it's such a small amount I think you'll be fine subbing it for the shortening. My guess is that the shortening helps with shelf life.