• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going up to the cottage this weekend

HowardLi

There have been many good salad recipes on eGullet this summer, ones which don't need fragile greens, which guys would like. I'd do some of those:

Naturally, I can't find anything when I want it...however, I do have several salads downloaded and can send them to you if you like. What Would Cathy Eathas some of these salads and others on it and is a wonderful source for hearty salads.

Corn is good always.

Have a great weekend! Bring booze. Then no one will care about the food. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We need more info. Cottage where? Shopping options? Local specialties? Your strengths and your guests' preferences? Prep assistance available?

The cottage is only about 45 minutes away so if I need to buy anything local, I can do that and then keep it in a cooler on the way up. There are grocery stores in the area, though.

I don't have any particular strengths (I'm decent at everything I've tried?) and my friends like pretty much everything. I will have 1 or 2 people available to help. I don't know if there are any local specialties but I'd rather not bank on them if there are.

Your request is gapingly open-ended, Howard. In that spirit, though:

I think the number of diners is a great opportunity to make a loaf of pate that otherwise a small family can't eat quickly enough - it also lets you take advantage of the oven at home to have a no-onsite-prep starter that nonetheless shows that you've put in some effort. So, pate de foie de porc (pork liver in a pate de campagne kind of mix) made at home and carried in the cooler. Take enough good bread, and some home-made chutney or pickles and that's a splendid starter.

Next is a fish gratin. Make up a cheesy bechamel in one pot on the range. Poach your fish fillets (I still want trout from the lake) in a couple of tablespoons of water in a frypan or saute pan with a lid on it. 5 minutes. Pour over the cheese sauce, top with grated cheese and/or breadcrumbs, and brown under the grill. That's the fish course.

Next you serve room-temperature or chilled ratatouille - another carry-in in the cooler.

Meat course is grilled lamb chops. In the meantime you've stovetop-braised some fennel in brought-in chicken stock. Finish this off with a splash or two of pernod, flame, and serve with the lamb.

So far you've only had to juggle three pots on the stovetop. You didn't say how many rings you have, but the bechamel can spend 5 minutes off the flame if you're limited to two.

Finally, chocolate mousse in the 1-egg-and-an-ounce-of-chocolate-per-person mould - you make it on site in advance and chill it in the fridge for the few hours needed. You'll need a big bowl, and an electric or a good balloon whisk. Since it's summer, include some peppermint essence when you fold everything together.

Hmm. When can I turn up ?

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Oh... Since you are at the cottage there is really only one meal You must start with Gazpacho one with (preferably cottage grown)almonds,bread crumbs and heirloom tomatoes. Next MUST be beef wellington with wild mushrooms,homemade pate (preferably from locally caught chicken livers or foie gras from the locally run-stuff-your gullet emporium) puff pastry (made from locally grown butter and wheat flour milled at the cottage) and a veal reduction sauce made from recently killed veal and locally grown vegetables and herbs. Everybody who has ever had a "cottage" knows that an August evening dinner isn't complete without cottage scalloped potatoes with a wee bit of cream and cottage gruyere. For dessert the choices for cottageness are limited. Primarily they include .....

Seriously what are you looking for? My parents owned a "cottage" on Lake Geneva, Wisconcin with 6 bed rooms and eight children. We didn't cook differently than we did at home. We ate well at both places.