• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oreo Cookies

Chris Hennes

Oreo's came up with a new flavor, Maple Creme. It's a complete rip off of Trader Joe's Maple Leaf cookies and definitely not better than Trader Joe's.

The Oreo version has the "blond" cookie base and some sort of crunchy sugar in the creme which I think is totally annoying. Pass on these cookies...

Edited by Toliver
Edited to add a space (log)
  • Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

49 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Oreo's came up with a new flavor, Maple Creme. It's a complete rip off of Trader Joe's Maple Leaf cookies and definitely not better than Trader Joe's.

The Oreo version has the "blond" cookie base and some sort of crunchy sugar in the creme which I think is totally annoying. Pass on these cookies...

There us also a maple crème cookie … un the shape of a maple leaf … a friend used to bring back in the fall when she used to visit family in St. Catherines.   Can't remember the company …. maybe Dare?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

3 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

There us also a maple crème cookie … un the shape of a maple leaf … a friend used to bring back in the fall when she used to visit family in St. Catherines.   Can't remember the company …. maybe Dare?

Yup - Dare makes one. I used to buy very good maple cookies very cheaply at the factory in Toronto - sadly their outlet is no longer open.  

34 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

There us also a maple crème cookie … un the shape of a maple leaf …

Yes, the Trader Joe's Maple Leaf cookies are also in the shape of a leaf.

Oreo's version just look like pale Oreo's.:hmmm:

Tim Oliver

The Peppermint Bark Oreos are the best Oreos I've ever had! I really like the dark chocolate once but these are even better. Hopefully they will stay around. Just the right mix of peppermint and chocolate.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

On 11/1/2019 at 6:33 PM, Toliver said:

Yes, the Trader Joe's Maple Leaf cookies are also in the shape of a leaf.

Oreo's version just look like pale Oreo's.:hmmm:

But I thought the TJ's maple cookies were a poor imitation of the Dare brand version, lacking significantly in maple flavor. Next time I'd go straight to the real thing.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"Oreo Introduces Two New Cookie Flavors With Some Incredible Mashups"

The first one is chocolate marshmallow, a flavor combination you’ve likely been introduced to thanks to cookies like Mallowmars or Pinwheels. There is no chance of failure when you start with marshmallow and cover it in chocolate. The cookie is dotted with marshmallow pieces and the creme is chocolate-marshmallow.

The second is caramel coconut. You’d think that the obvious source of inspiration here is the timeless Girl Scout classic, Samoas. However, there’s a picture of a cake on the packaging, so we’re honestly not sure what that means. 

Please take one for the team if you find them!

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

I found both of these today at the supermarket and indeed, I have taken one (two?) for the team.

My advice is don't waste your $.

The chocolate marshmallow is blah; no flavor, nothing.  Crispy cookie though!

The caramel coconut tastes like artificial flavoring :(

For a second opinion, the kid ate one of the chocolate marshmallow ones and doesn't want any more.  This from a kid who can polish off an entire package without realizing it (plus, he's 6'4" so truly this is just a snack for him ;) )

The supermarket still had dark chocolate ones and I wish I had bought one of those. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2020 at 9:55 PM, Kim Shook said:

Jessica bought the caramel coconut ones and hated them.  I took one sniff and passed.  Mr. Kim ate one and said it taste like a cheap candle.  Hope the squirrels enjoy them.  

He was so traumatized by them that he went back to the store and bought a bag of dark chocolate ones to heal himself.  

• Haha 8

21 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

He was so traumatized by them that he went back to the store and bought a bag of dark chocolate ones to heal himself.  

I am thrilled to see the Dark Chocolate Oreos are still being stocked on local store shelves (as opposed to being a limited time offer).

Just the aroma will soothe my soul after a bad day at work. Remind me to get a life.xD

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

"Tiramisu Oreos Are FINALLY Here, and We Already Can’t Get Enough"

There’s nothing quite like homemade tiramisu, but if you’re looking to indulge without having to do dishes after, Oreo has your back. The latest (and greatest) Oreo flavor to satisfy your sweet tooth is a double-stuffed tiramisu filling sandwiched between the signature chocolate cookies.

And they mention a second new flavor which is really gilding the already-gilded lily:

Oreo also released a dark chocolate cookie dunked in fudge. Talk about a guilty pleasure! 

The Fudge-Covered Dark Chocolate cookies are supposed to be available on the Walmart web site.

Part of the attraction, to me, of the Dark Chocolate Oreos was the aroma of the cookie. Just opening the package and inhaling it was better than any mantra or meditation out there.

So now I wonder if the fudge covering hides that aroma? If anyone orders/buys them, please report back.

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

As I was scrolling through the "aisles" putting together a curbside pick up grocery order, I noticed they had Tiramisu Oreos.  I took a chance (you don't always get everything you put in your cart) and got a package.

They're AWFUL.  Blech.  yuck. 

going to brush my teeth

these are TERRIBLE.

save yourselves the  misery that these cookies are ;)

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

"Oreo's newest cookie flavor looks like a coffee lover's dream"

This week, Oreo announced that two cookies will be hitting store shelves in January: Java Chip, which will have a coffee-flavored crème filling studded with mini chocolate chips, and an updated version of Oreo limited-edition Chocolate Hazelnut cookies that first came out in 2018. The new version of this cookie will have the same filling sandwiched between chocolate cookies — not golden wafers — Oreo is best known for.

I emphasized the names of the new cookies in the quote.

Something to look forward to!

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Thanks for the tips, @Toliver!

Previously, I would try lots of flavors, out of curiousity.  After sampling one, I'd usually leave the rest in the break room at work but I would try both of these if I spot them.

The dark chocolate is my only repeat purchase.  And my annual purchase of TJ's peppermint Jo Jo's 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

"Gingerbread Oreos Are Available RIGHT NOW"

According to the package, these Oreos have a "gingerbread flavored cookie" and "creme with crunch sugar crystals."

...On top of all that, they come in five cute designs. In fact, the Oreos might just give classic gingerbread men a run for their money this season.

I thought it was far too early for Starbucks to bring back Pumpkin Spice. It's way too early for Gingerbread. ¬¬

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

"Walmart Is Selling a TUB of Oreo Mousse We're Already Digging Into"

...Now, Walmart has totally upped the ante by selling the best thing in after-dinner indulging—Oreo mousse!
This unique treat was spotted in the Walmart deli freezer section by Instagrammer @snackgator. The mousse comes in 1-pound tubs—yes, tubs—and can be found among the other refrigerated treats like banana pudding.

I can't believe that I am seriously contemplating hunting this down. xD

Anyone else care to join in on the hunt? :B

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

Here's an article in today's Washington Post, "Why Does Oreo Keep Releasing New Flavors?"

Novelty Oreos, according to Mr. Parnell, play a much purer role: They help drive consumers back to milk’s alleged favorite, the 108-year-old paterfamilias, the plain old Oreo. In other words, the new flavors function as advertisements for the original.

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Novelty Oreos, according to Mr. Parnell, play a much purer role: They help drive consumers back to milk’s alleged favorite, the 108-year-old paterfamilias, the plain old Oreo. In other words, the new flavors function as advertisements for the original.

Completely agree.   Never cared for double stuff or limited editions.  The 'white fudge dipped' recently made its way to the pantry.  I tried one and wished for the original. 

My wife is the nostalgic sucker for the occasional old school snacks as in Yodels, coffee cakes, devil dogs and the like .   These are the latest (I might have one) 

image.png.6f2c913c554f8b79907be9d9baa2e3e7.png

• Like 2

That wasn't chicken

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_4753.jpg.260a81855840e3d6b8ac8197550d6d1d.jpg

Tried these the other day.  Must say that I'm not a fan of the Double Stuf Oreos - they are just too sweet for me.  I love the cooky part - I've been known to peel off the creme and just eat the cookies.  But Mr. Kim likes the "Stuf".  We both agreed that this was indistinguishable from a Double Stuf cooky.  There is no detectable brownie flavor or texture.  Don't bother.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1