• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oreo Cookies

Chris Hennes

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought the Pumpkin Spice Limited Edition Oreos. The spice flavoring is in the creme. I found it very ginger-y, which I didn't mind at all. 

The cookies that sandwich the creme look (and taste) like their Golden Oreo counterparts. It's a generic vanilla-ish cookie.

Now if only Oreo would try matching the Pumpkin Spice creme with their chocolate cookies...I imagine that would make for a better treat.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

I bought the Pumpkin Spice Limited Edition Oreos. The spice flavoring is in the creme. I found it very ginger-y, which I didn't mind at all. 

The cookies that sandwich the creme look (and taste) like their Golden Oreo counterparts. It's a generic vanilla-ish cookie.

Now if only Oreo would try matching the Pumpkin Spice creme with their chocolate cookies...I imagine that would make for a better treat.

Was contemplating these at the store last weekend and if they had used the chocolate cookie I would have gotten some.

• Like 2

I remember kind of liking the Pumpkin Spice Oreos last year so I picked some up for my son and his friends. They usually try the ltd flavors when they get together for game nights but have been having a hard time co-ordinating this semester so I have accumulated quite an interesting stockpile of these oreos for them: choc chip cookie dough, blueberry crisp, candy corn and swedish fish(!). The last time they met, they tried the fruity cereal oreos and didn't like them at all. I believe the feedback was along the lines of lemony pledge.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I'm still disappointed the key lime variety didn't make a repeat appearance this summer. Is there any logic as far as which flavors are one-offs and which ones come back?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 2 months later...

Currently in limited release: Chocolate Strawberry Oreos

One of our editors spotted THESE amazing cookies in a Target in Kansas. They're Chocolate Strawberry Oreos. And they are very real.

I'm not a fan of Black Forest/chocolate-cherry flavor but this new chocolate-strawberry combo sounds like it could be good.

Anyone in Kansas try these yet?

Tim Oliver

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:44 PM, Toliver said:

Currently in limited release: Chocolate Strawberry Oreos

I'm not a fan of Black Forest/chocolate-cherry flavor but this new chocolate-strawberry combo sounds like it could be good.

Anyone in Kansas try these yet?

I haven't tried them but IMHO that flavor doesn't sound good. Very few of the flavor combinations they come out with actually have been very appetizing. The lemon and the key lime have been about the only ones that we would buy again.

• Like 2

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Someone at the New Year's Eve party I attended brought a package of the Chocolate Strawberry Oreos.

If you like Captain Crunch Crunchberries cereal, you will love these cookies. That's what their flavor brought to mind.

Interestingly, the usual chocolate sandwich cookies of these Oreos were quite crispy, as if just baked. I liked that more than the Crunchberry flavor.

Tim Oliver

Just came back from Target with those. I hope its just this one time but I noticed the Chocolate Strawberry Oreos came in a 10 oz pkg vs the 12 oz of the other Limited Flavors (same price too). Not too many of the last flavors went over well with my son and his friends so this might be the end of my little Oreo Experiment.

• Like 1
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

• 1 month later...

It's getting to be that time of year: 

"Spoiler Alert: Peeps Oreos Are on Their Way to a Shelf Near You!"

It's not even Spring yet, but we have our mind on one very important springtime task: finding Peeps Oreos. They're real, and they're exactly as you'd image: golden Oreos filled with bright-pink Peeps marshmallow creme that appears to be speckled with sanding sugar, just like the exterior of a Peep. 

I am not a fan of Peeps though many eG'ers are (click)

"Peeps is one flavor of Oreos I will not be trying", said Sam I Am. :B xD

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

@Toliver  I couldn't resist.

58cd4679db6c2_photo36.JPG.c5d79e6b850144ebffdb02e24f3ff448.JPG

58cd4694b4cac_photo38.JPG.c9e1928949e6a51173a5ed83ab9720f0.JPG

58cd469e98330_photo39.JPG.87b6fa8211b3dfdb06de27898d244a63.JPG

They aren't too bad, really.  Of course, they are very sweet.  You do get a hint of "Peep".  The frosting taste a bit like a marshmallow and you get a bit of crunch from the sugar crystals on the frosting.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

"Oreo comes out with new Firework flavor and offers $500,000 for a new cookie"

For their latest go at an exciting new flavor, the snack masterminds created a limited edition Firework Oreo, or as Cosmopolitan calls it, "an Oreo with Pop Rocks in the creme."
At the center of the cookie, red and blue "popping candies" (a la Pop Rocks) are mixed in with the creme, creating a "firework" sensation in your mouth.

They went on sale yesterday.

Anyone interested in taking one for the team? 9_9 xD

Tim Oliver

19 minutes ago, Toliver said:

"Oreo comes out with new Firework flavor and offers $500,000 for a new cookie"

They went on sale yesterday.

Anyone interested in taking one for the team? 9_9 xD

Took the no name version of them when I went to play with chocolate with the Cooking Basic boys at The Royal St George's College in April - boys seemed to like them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Found 2 new ones last week. the blueberry pie ones I didn't buy, but I did get the salted caramel thins, and they were really good.

• Like 2

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

• 2 months later...

I have just bought two packages of the Cookie Butter Oreo: graham cookie and cookie butter creme filling.  They aren't bad.  I sort of like the graham cookie part, it's crispy/crunchy.  But the creme?  Yuck! Biscoff is probably already prepping the lawsuit....seriously, Nabisco why didn't you just buy a few trainloads of Biscoff and use that to fill the cookies with!

FWIW: we spit out the apple pie ones and threw the rest of the ETA: apple pie flavored:cookies in the bin

Edited by JeanneCake
to clarify that we only tossed out the apple pie ones (log)
  • Like 1

Last weekend I ran into the mocha and cookie butter variations on sale, so I grabbed one of each. I haven't opened the cookie butter ones to try yet. I'm avoiding opening the mocha ones because I know they won't last long once I do!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 3 weeks later...

Let me save you all from the abomination that is the  Mystery Oreo; it comes in a white package and you're supposed to "guess" the flavor.  One of the girls at work was describing it and I saw some at the supermarket yesterday so I bought a package for work and another to bring home.

Gross is what immediately came to mind as I bit into one.  It reminds me - and not in a good way - of Trix cereal or if you are old enough, the St Joseph Baby Aspirin that had an orange taste to it.  No one at work liked them, so we threw them out.  And no one at home is eating them either so they'll be in the trash tomorrow.  It's the usual chocolate cookie, with a white filling (no tell-tale bits of anything in the filling so you can't tell just by looking.  The cookie part is fine; the filling is what's disgusting.  It's a chemical-y orange taste that is awful.  So you've been warned - don't go into the deep end of the pool - and if you do, don't say you weren't warned!! LOL

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

and yet another new Oreo Limited Edition Flavor:  Hot Cocoa.  Not too bad!  Crispy crunchy cookie and a thin layer of the regular filling and another thin layer of a chocolate filling.  It's been a long while since I've had chocolate oreos so maybe it's the same filling?  I'm sure the husband and kid will polish off the bag in no time!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I see more new Oreos are on the way this year.  

Two new flavors were reportedly released on Jan 1:  Hazelnut Chocolate (looks like a vanilla cookie with a Nutella-like artificially flavored creme filling) and Hot and Spicy Cinnamon (looks like a chocolate cookie with bright red cinnamon candy filling) 

In May, 3 of the customer-proposed flavors from last year's "My Creation Contest" will be released: 

• Cherry Cola Oreos 
  • Kettle Corn Oreos 
  • Piña Colada Oreo Thins

News articles also report that Peeps will return for Easter and Firework Oreo will be back for July Fourth.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...