• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oreo Cookies

Chris Hennes

Chocolate Cookie w/Peppermint Creme and Golden Cookie with Gingerbread Creme Oreos showed up at my Target recently so of course I picked them up for my son and his friends to try.

Mint seems to invoke a love or hate response and it divided the group. Those that do like mint really liked them. My son said that of all the limited flavors they have tried, these had the strongest scent right out of the bag but luckily the cookies did not have as strong a flavor as the smell might have indicated.

Next week, it's gingerbread's turn.

ps. there was a full shelf of the caramel apple oreos still at the store. I guess they aren't the only ones that dislike them.

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
  • Like 1
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Personally I don't like them. Too sweet.

But we recently had a taste test in the office: Canadian vs American Oreos. The Canadians won. Can't remember why. Slight difference in ingredient list. I believe Canadian was only sugar sweetened vs American sweeteners. Or maybe I'm confused by Mexican Coke.

New but not coming to a grocery store near you: OREO Churros!

"Circle cookies are over: Oreo Churros are here to change the dessert game"

...these will only be available at food retailers like movie theaters and sporting events.

Idiots. Something as intriguing Oreo Churros and the home consumer can't buy them? Really?  :angry:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

New but not coming to a grocery store near you: OREO Churros!

"Circle cookies are over: Oreo Churros are here to change the dessert game"

Idiots. Something as intriguing Oreo Churros and the home consumer can't buy them? Really?  :angry:

Actually if you read further down in the article they say they will be available in a smaller bite-size version in the frozen foods section of grocery stores for home consumption!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

emmyeatsjapan on youtube she just tasted 10 flavors if you are interested and I almost lost my lunch thinking about the combinations she was trying and hot horrible they were ..then noticed this thread and yes it is a "thing" LOL wow ..then I went to the cookie isle and saw the explosion ..our local commissary on base has a full Isle of cookies and a full Isle of chips and I am so overwhelmed by snack foods that now that I am wanting to try some I can not even begin to begin so I havent …I will just watch you guys trying away …. and wow I had no clue Oreos had gone so far. 

I like my Oreos, regular …I think? 

• Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

• 3 weeks later...

Ive finally Succumbed  

Oreo Birthday Cooks were on sale

I do love birthday cake.  not the one you find at a birth day, but the one you buy

some how that frosting ( id bet its crisco, powdered sugar and imitation vanilla )  

drives me crazy.  Light, fluffy, sugary, delicious.  killer it has to be

these Cookies were beyond awful

note these :

Oero Plops.jpg

these are the Brithday Pucks that plopped right out with a minimal Twist of the cookie part

the cookie part was fine.

had i gotten these from TJ's id have taken them back

I might have taken the, back to the Local MegaLoMart

but .................

• Like 1

You mean the filling was dried out?  It wasn't in my batch. If you mean it didn't taste like that uber-rich sweet frosting to you, well, our taste buds are calibrated differently. :-) 

Edited by Smithy
Corrected spelling (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

"New flavor of Oreos hits the stores"

Oreo cinnamon bun flavored cookies have officially hit the market.

This particular product is new for the cookie line, but buzz has been circling around its release date for the past three months.

Has anyone tried them yet?

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2016 at 6:39 PM, liuzhou said:

Here is one take on the new Oreos which I came across yesterday

I found the Cinnamon Bun Oreos at a local grocery store. It has the vanilla/golden cookie instead of the chocolate. I believe it's only the cookie that has the cinnamon flavor. It didn't really taste like a Cinnamon bun/roll...more like a sweet cinnamon breakfast cereal-type flavor.

There's another new flavor: "Filled Cupcake Oreos Might Be Better Than Actual Hostess Cupcakes"

These Hostess-inspired Oreos are everything you want them to be. While the creaminess of the icing isn't exactly the same as the original cupcake, the combination of chocolate frosting with a dollop of vanilla in the center is the ultimate complement to the crunchy chocolate cookies.

They were supposed to be launched this past Monday. Has anyone seen them?

Tim Oliver

I like the idea of Oreo Thins but have wondered if there is less cookie as well as less filling.

I like the cookie part best so I don't want ones with less.

I'm also afraid that I'd just eat one more cookie each time to make up the difference.

• 1 month later...

My local Walmart Neighborhood Market had the cupcake Oreos which I bought and haven't tried, yet.

They also had Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Oreos. It's the creme in the sandwich cookie that has the peanut butter flavor. The aroma of the cookie is exactly like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. But when you eat the cookie, it tastes more like the Girl Scout Cookie called Do-Si-Do, which is a peanut butter sandwich cookie.

I was momentarily saddened that it didn't taste like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, but turned happy when I realized they were like Do-Si-Do's.

I'm easy to please...what can I say? :D

• Like 4

Tim Oliver

On February 11, 2016 at 5:49 AM, lindag said:

I like the idea of Oreo Thins but have wondered if there is less cookie as well as less filling.

I like the cookie part best so I don't want ones with less.

I'm also afraid that I'd just eat one more cookie each time to make up the difference.

My solution is Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers. Taste very much like the Oreo cookie. And for me they are perfect, since I hate the filling. Until I discovered these cookies I used to scrape off the Oreo filling and throw it away. I justified the waste by feeling virtuous about my teeth.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So I tried the Filled Cupcake Oreos which are supposed to taste like a Hostess Cupcake.

The cover of the package suggested to "Twist and Lick" (hey! no snickers from the peanut gallery! ;) )

The problem with that advice was that the filling came off in one lick. :o DOH!

The cookies smell great but they taste super sweet and not even close to the Hostess Cupcakes. I've always found the Hostess Cupcakes to have a slight molasses flavor to them. These cookies had none of that.

I don't recommend this limited Oreo edition flavor. It wasn't very good.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

I succumbed.  Smores oreos.  What were they thinking?  They're.... they're.... not worth the hype.  Stop with the reinventing the wheel already.  Stick with mint, PB, and plain.

• Like 2

Okay folks, in South Africa we appear to get two versions of Oreo Cookies - the one has white icing in the centre and the other has chocolate icing in the centre. I am not a huge "cookie" guy but my other half, although she professes not to like  any "cookie", will scoff a whole packet of the white centred ones when I have not hidden them properly, but will not eat the chocolate centred ones as, she claims, they are tasteless. I write "cookie" in inverted commas as we call them biscuits here. Also, the Oreo's we get are manufactured in the UAE.

Now, the above said, what does an "original" Oreo look like? Is it with the white icing or something else? 

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

@JohnT - The regular Oreos are dark cookies sandwiching a white filling.

There have been several more Limited Oreos (Cinnamon Bun, Red Velvet, S'mores, Filled Cupcake, Reeses, etc.), since I last checked in to this thread, I think they all pretty much got decent reception from my son and his friends.

I heard on the radio today that a couple of new flavors will be on shelves soon: Blueberry Pie & Fruit Crisp

• Like 1
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I'm reeeeeeally hoping the Key Lime Pie Oreos make a return this summer. Of all the limited editions, those were the only ones that I didn't find icky.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:20 AM, lindag said:

When we were kids, I loved Oreos but my brother's favorite was (of all things) Fig Newtons, which I couldn't stand.

Fig Newtons are a great cookie! Great flavor and texture, much better than Oreos IMHO.

• Like 2

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:02 AM, MelissaH said:

I'm reeeeeeally hoping the Key Lime Pie Oreos make a return this summer. Of all the limited editions, those were the only ones that I didn't find icky.

I haven't seen the Key lime ones yet, and have been  looking. Have you tried the lemon ones yet?? they are tasty, remind me of the cookies we were served at vacation bible school :x

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett