• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oreo Cookies

Chris Hennes

I can't have Oreo cookies in my house. I will and have eaten entire packages in a single sitting. Dipped in milk, regular variety only, please. You can keep your doublestuff golden cakester whatever-the-heck-they-are. And I better not catch you with any damn Hydrox!!

Any other Oreo fans?

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

If you're an Oreo fan, I so hate to mention this..... BUT....have you ever tried Deep Fried Oreos?

I made them for a Scottish event for my club. Basically, it's a thin pancake batter. Dip the Oreo in to coat. Deep fry for a minute or so. Drain on paper towels. SOOOOO delish!

Check out http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/deep-fried-oreos/Detail.aspx

And I deep fried Mars bars too. Freeze the bars first. Use the small ones, or cut a regular bar in half. A little bit of powdered sugar went on the top. I only made them twice for our different events. I just can't make them, they're soooo good!

Susan

On average, Oreos last two hours at our house. Round 1: just a few because they're such a treat! Round 2: sneaking them between shop and dinner. Round 3: dessert! Gone.

Oreos are God's sign that s/he truly loves us. My entire family agrees with this statement.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I can't have Oreo cookies in my house. I will and have eaten entire packages in a single sitting. Dipped in milk, regular variety only, please. You can keep your doublestuff golden cakester whatever-the-heck-they-are. And I better not catch you with any damn Hydrox!!

Any other Oreo fans?

Well, where are those of us who are Hydrox fans going to get our fix, nowadays, anyway? Those of you who prefer the sweetness of the Oreo cookie to the more subtle chocolate character of Hydrox have already won that battle, to the dismay of many (but obviously not enough) diehards. When the brand was briefly reprised a few years ago, what was produced was an insult to the original, IMO.

I live down the street from the Kraft factory. When I'm on my way to my evening lessons, I can smell them baking the chocolate cookie portion. How do I know they're making my Oreos? Because all the Oreo packets say "Made in Suzhou". I like the kind with the peanut butter filling - do they make those in the U.S.?

Oreos are irresistable to me, too. I try not to buy them at all, but if I really get the jones on, I get the small packages that they have at the convenience store. Six cookies, gone instantly.

No milk, no twisting them apart--just stuff one cookie into my mouth after another.

Oh, I do love Oreos.

sparrowgrass

Growing up, we always got the knock-offs/store brands...my mother's attempt to save a few pennies. :angry:

I like my Oreos with my morning coffee (with milk and sugar). A mocha chocolate treat. :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

add johnnybird to the group. i also buy the bags of minis so he can keep a bag in his briefcase. just in case he is stuck in a long meeting

he will at least have a little something to snack on...and maybe offer around the table.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I don't buy them too often, but really do like them. They are great for making a chocolate cookie crumb pie crust. Something I learned from Cooks Illustrated. And just yesterday, I spied something that is timed right for this time of the year. Oreos in the shape of footballs!! Perfect for your upcoming game watching parties.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I think the Newman's Oreo knockoffs are better than Oreos. I also think Oreos circa 1980 were better than Oreos today.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I will and have eaten entire packages in a single sitting.

There's nothing wrong with that.

I love Oreos in all flavors; I am not so crazy about the blonde ones and I do not like the cakester things. We just started getting the vanilla/chocolate cookie version (blonde cookie on one side, chocolate cookie on the other, vanilla filling).

The most popular flavor of cheesecake I make? Oreo. :wub:

The good folks at Cornell helped out. Andy Bernard would be proud:

Joe Regenstein, professor of food science at Cornell and director of the Cornell Kosher and Halal Food Initiative, ... told the story of how Nabisco's famous Oreo cookie was converted into a fully orthodox kosher product [in December 1997, according to the Orthodox Union (OU)]. Regenstein served as an informal consultant to get the process started by giving a talk at Nabisco on the koshering process in the mid-1990s.

The costly transformation took more than three years. "It was probably the most expensive conversion of a company from non-kosher to kosher," Regenstein said. Nabisco owned approximately 100 baking ovens measuring about 300 feet in length, nearly the length of a football field, and all had to be converted to kosher.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 3 years later...

Recently, Oreos (Nabisco) has been having success with their limited edition flavors. The two I've tried were Marshmallow Treat and Birthday Cake.

They've announced a new limited edition flavor: 

"This is NOT a Drill: Limited-Edition Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Oreos Exist"

The cookies feature half chocolate and half peanut butter flavored creme with the classic chocolate cookie exterior. 

They launch on June 9th. If you try them, please report back.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I like Oreos (also with milk).  The only ones I have on hand now are the fudgy type - and they're very good.

I also have the Peanut Butter Gaucho cookies.  They're back! and I couldn't resist buying a package.

I never did get the chance to tell Fat Guy that he was right (on this one thing!). I'd never had the Newman O's until he suggested it, but they are really good.

Yeah - he was right on occasion!

Have you tried the Wegman's oreo knock offs?  They are excellent.  When I was picking up big boxes of oreo knockoffs to dip for the Luxury Chocolate Show I happened to mention to the folks at the factory that I thought the Wegman's version were the best - the girl in the front office proudly announced that they were the company that makes them for Wegmans!  So the trick is to figure out when they are manufacturing those particular cookies to get a box of overruns.  I'll bet they make the Newman's O's too.  

• 1 month later...