• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oreo Cookies

Chris Hennes

The java chips ones are ok; nothing spectacular but not bad either.  I did notice that the curbside grocery store had a family size pack of Dark Chocolate Oreos ❤️ so at long last, I have more of those :)!   those pink and green (silver paper toffee paper 😄) ones might be good for a featured cupcake flavor.....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

These caught my eye yesterday as a new flavor.  They are limited edition.  I guess the tan colored frosting is the donut flavor.  Very sweet.  I guess it's a little like a strawberry donut.  

thumbnail_IMG_0638.jpg.960889630c648693d74b20ff29a5721a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0641.jpg.82b6eb5a2a3903a466a2833bab00dc32.jpg

But they aren't very glittery 😠

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

These caught my eye yesterday as a new flavor.  They are limited edition.  I guess the tan colored frosting is the donut flavor.  Very sweet.  I guess it's a little like a strawberry donut.  

I love girly stuff (witness the Gaga Oreos) and would have bought these JUST for the glitter.  And been very disgruntled at the lack thereof.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Why can't they just leave well enough alone?

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Just now, Shelby said:

Because there are people like me that can't walk by without putting weird flavors in their cart.

They have marketing people specifically devoted to people like you. 

• Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought these at Target yesterday.  Java Chip flavor.

IMG_3683.thumb.jpeg.ed5b1a9c2d46a881c73b01bc2e5d9d9a.jpeg

I thought they were pretty good.  The chocolate cookie is the dominant flavor but you can certainly taste the coffee, too. Note that it says there are "chocolatey chips" in the coffee creme, NOT actual chocolate chips.  Since they're about the size of a grain of salt, I was't really expecting actual chocolate chips. 

The amount of filling seemed kind of random.  Some had a lot, others much less.  Maybe those pesky chocolatey chips plug up the creme dispenser? 🙃

I read some reviews that seemed to think these weren't sweet enough.  I disagree.  

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 1:32 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I bought these at Target yesterday.  Java Chip flavor.

IMG_3683.thumb.jpeg.ed5b1a9c2d46a881c73b01bc2e5d9d9a.jpeg

I thought they were pretty good.  The chocolate cookie is the dominant flavor but you can certainly taste the coffee, too. Note that it says there are "chocolatey chips" in the coffee creme, NOT actual chocolate chips.  Since they're about the size of a grain of salt, I was't really expecting actual chocolate chips. 

The amount of filling seemed kind of random.  Some had a lot, others much less.  Maybe those pesky chocolatey chips plug up the creme dispenser? 🙃

I read some reviews that seemed to think these weren't sweet enough.  I disagree.  

Thanks for highlighting these. I bought some and enjoyed them with my morning coffee which is sort of redundant since they're coffee-flavored. But good! :)

Funny thing is when I went back to my Walmart Grocery store the next week, they were completely sold out. Or just not stocked (Walmart is famous for not stocking items).¬¬

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

"Oreo’s New Apple Cider Donut Cookies Just Hit Stores To Fast Forward Us To Fall"

The Golden Oreos are stuffed with apple cider-flavored creme to deliver that donut flavor you look forward to each year. The limited-edition cookies are available in 12.2-ounce containers and can be found wherever Oreos are sold.

If anyone sees them in their store, please take one for the team, try them and please report back.

• Like 3

Tim Oliver

I just saw Oreos with orange colored cream/Halloween graphics on the package at the supermarket today and thought "really? 2 months early?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

I just saw Oreos with orange colored cream/Halloween graphics on the package at the supermarket today and thought "really? 2 months early?"

Yes. Walmart has had the Candy Corn/Marshmallow Pumpkins "Autumn Mix" on sale the past few weeks. The Halloween candy likely isn't far behind.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Ok, y'all owe me.  I took one for the team and bought and tried these things:

IMG_6867.jpg.400e06c2f5112a967104a163b8fc7385.jpg

Mr. Kim asked if they were from Yankee Candle rather than Oreo.  Terribly fake tasting.  No recognizable "Apple Cider" flavor at all.  We're hoping that the squirrels will be less discerning than us.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

8 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Ok, y'all owe me.  I took one for the team and bought and tried these things:

IMG_6867.jpg.400e06c2f5112a967104a163b8fc7385.jpg

Mr. Kim asked if they were from Yankee Candle rather than Oreo.  Terribly fake tasting.  No recognizable "Apple Cider" flavor at all.  We're hoping that the squirrels will be less discerning than us.  

Kim! I am so sorry they turned out to be so...fake tasting.

You would think by now with all of the different limited editions of Oreos that they've put out that "fake" won't cut it. Plus, it lessens the brand's reputation in the long run so you think they would know better.

But thanks for taking one for the team!

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Stopped in the grocery store seeking wasabi, miso and Niçoise olives.  Struck out on all three at the first place but I did buy Chocolate Hazelnut Oreos:

IMG_4266.thumb.jpeg.73b2cd7136f2f1ae79866ee401af9fa0.jpeg

I ate one.  Nothing awful about them but I couldn't detect anything Nutella-like in the flavor and the filling was sweeter than the Dark Chocolate or the Java Chip where the filling actually did have a coffee flavor. 

I'll put them in the cupboard for a while and see what happens.  Maybe I'll develop more of a sweet tooth...or find a recipe that calls for Oreos 🙃 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...

Limited edition Gingerbread Oreo's:

Oreo_Gingerbread.jpeg.4c0ed8cc91aefa267e6f60dfc3b2131c.jpeg

Actually, not too bad. The ginger flavor isn't that over-powering.

I could have done without the sugar crystals in the creme filling, but the flavor of the cookie is okay.

Now it makes me wonder why they didn't do a half dark chocolate Oreo/half Gingerbread Oreo. Or would that be too weird?

• Like 3

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Here are the latest releases. According to the article I read the Ultimate Chocolate is a limited release and will go away, the Toffee Crunch is going to stay around.

image.png.cc509616254d3b5c332e9248768bcfda.png

Edited by MSRadell (log)
  • Like 2

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.