• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oreo Cookies

Chris Hennes

• 2 months later...

I am personally against the Oreo Thins.

I mean, it's less Oreos but for about the same price, right?

Just doesn't make sense to me. It's like those new candy bars where the maker has created "air bubbles" in the candy for a "lighter" bar. Oh, you mean you're using less chocolate yet charging me the same price as the old version of your candy bar?

It ain't right, man. ¬¬ xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Interesting. I am not generally a big fan of Oreos altogether, but I love the Oreo Thins. If I buy a pack I am doomed, so I just stay away. I love thin crisp cookies, and the Oreo Thins have a great texture. You are right, of course, that it's less Oreos for the same price. But it's better Oreos!! 9_9

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I like the thins, specifically the lemon ones. Like @cakewalk, I don't often buy a package, because I'm going to sit down and eat the entire thing, because, you know, they're thin and crisp and light.

Speaking of cinnamon-y things....my daughter came in last night with a bag of soft peppermint stick candy, except for instead of peppermint, it was cinnamon. "Red hots" on steroids! I could only manage half a stick. Would be marvelous in hot cider.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, Toliver said:

I am personally against the Oreo Thins.

I mean, it's less Oreos but for about the same price, right?

Just doesn't make sense to me. It's like those new candy bars where the maker has created "air bubbles" in the candy for a "lighter" bar. Oh, you mean you're using less chocolate yet charging me the same price as the old version of your candy bar?

It ain't right, man. ¬¬ xD

I actually prefer the Oreo Thins because I like the chocolate better than the filling.  I know they cost the same but I think they're better without as much of the white stuff.  They should have priced them less just because it's insulting to do otherwise.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 4

we tried the Pina Colada thins.....not bad at all and I totally dislike pina coladas.  More pineapple - y than cocnuty if you know what I mean.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 weeks later...

My wife is a HUGE fan of the original Oreo.  This may be blasphemy, but I prefer the peanut butter ones.  At least there isn't a fight over them on the home front. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Rule #3: Don't believe what you're told.  Double check.

"Oreo Is Unleashing 5 New Flavors and We Can't Wait"

The flavors were announced at the Sweets and Snacks Expo in Chicago, and pictures were quickly spread by the Instagram account @junkbanter. Here's the full list of what we have to look forward to: Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie, Pistachio Thins, Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake, Rocky Road, and Peppermint Bark.

But be warned, only Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie and Pistachio Thins are here to stay. The other three are limited releases. 

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Today the local Acme had the Oreo pistacchio thins which I had everything intention of buying until I read the ingredients list. There are no pistachios involved in the making of  pistacchio thins so I didn't buy any.. There is green stuff between the two chocolate cookies. Artificial coloring and flavors were are in the ingredients, and no tree nut allergy warning.

• Sad 2

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

On 5/16/2018 at 9:59 AM, suzilightning said:

we tried the Pina Colada thins.....not bad at all and I totally dislike pina coladas.  More pineapple - y than cocnuty if you know what I mean.

I just bought some of those--haven't opened them yet.  I feel guilty if I have more than one package open at a time 🙃

IMG_4780.jpg.a1904715475378dc925cc894ec57b4bf.jpg

I opened these

IMG_4781.jpg.5646e6543f24568b82eb47b9fab06e8f.jpg

They aren't bad.  They definitely have little pieces of puffed millet in them and that gives them a very popcorny taste.  Further tasting will be needed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

I saw firecracker oreos in the store the other day, wasn't inspired to buy them.

Are those the ones with pop rocks in them?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

16 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

I saw firecracker oreos in the store the other day, wasn't inspired to buy them.

I passed them by, as well.

2 hours ago, MelissaH said:

Are those the ones with pop rocks in them?

Yes, I believe so. I think I am well past the age where Pop Rocks held some sort of fascination for me. Yes, I'm old...xD

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

"Oreo’s New Cookie Is Better Than A Deep Fried Oreo"

...the cookie company's latest product launch is straight out of a page from Hostess' book. Oreo is bringing State Fair cookies - crunchy, coated cookie sandwiches - to the frozen aisle this summer, and they bear more than a passing resemblance to the Deep Fried Twinkies that hit freezer shelves in 2016.

Oreo's careful not to call these new cookies "deep-fried," but we can read the writing on the wall - or, uh, the coating on the cookie. The dessert looks battered and fried, just like the classic state fair dessert, and it comes in two variations: a traditional Oreo cookie with a chocolate coating and the same classic cookie with a vanilla coating.

Has anyone found them in their area? Hopefully, someone can take one for the team and report back.

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and child like trying the new Oreo flavors, so I bought the Firecracker ones and the Kettle Corn ones.  They didn't care for the firecracker ones At. All.  No flavor, no zing, nothing.  I myself tried the Kettle Corn ones because I am a popcorn fanatic and yeah, just one was enough.  It wasn't bad but if I'm going to have an Oreo, it better be worth the calories.....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

"New birthday cake-flavored Oreos celebrate Mickey Mouse's 90th birthday!"

Disney teamed up with milk's favorite cookie, Oreo, to mark the 90th anniversary of Mickey Mouse with limited-edition birthday cake-flavored Oreos.
There are three different Mickey Mouse-themed designs on top of the wafers: a party horn, a big 90 in honor of this major milestone and Mickey Mouse himself, of course.

The release date for these limited edition Oreos will be September 24th. As they say, "while supplies last".

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

@Kim Shook -- I blame you for this. Well, you and the fact I went to the grocery while hungry, someone one Should Not Do. I am, for the evening, the proud owner of a bag of Lemon Oreo Thins. I do not expect them to last the night.

Thankfully the package is small.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

@Kim Shook -- I blame you for this. Well, you and the fact I went to the grocery while hungry, someone one Should Not Do. I am, for the evening, the proud owner of a bag of Lemon Oreo Thins. I do not expect them to last the night.

Cue evil laugh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kayb said:

You're gonna be mad that you didn't get the big one.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just when you think they're done fiddlin' with the recipe, they try something different:

"Oreo's Biggest Cookie Ever, The Most Stuf, Is Coming Soon"

The new Oreo innovation the company allegedly has up its sleeve...is bigger, literally, than anything we've seen from Oreo to date. Food blogger TheJunkFoodAisle.com (@thejunkfoodaisle) posted a photo of two towering Oreos, which are apparently "Most Stuf Oreos".

According to the caption, Most Stuf Oreos are coming soon, and the Instagrammer declares this is an "actual product photo." 

See the article for the photo (scroll down the article).

No release date has been announced.

Tim Oliver