• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chalet Cheese Co-op in Monroe Wisconsin

Lior

I have just returned from an amazing trip to The U.S. I was mainly in Madison, Wisconsin, but also Chicago and Orlando. I have been away for nearly 2 months and now am back at home.

Since all the Wisconsin license plates say "America's Dairyland" and having been exposed to such bizarre culinary "delights" as squeeky fresh cheese curds (they really do squeek)at Dane County Fair, I decided to visit a nice cheese factory. BTW, they even sold FRIED AND BREADED curds but this I did not try!

The chosen factory was a small and quaint one called Chalet Cheese Co-op in Monroe Wisconsin. The Chalet has been in operation since 1885. They have won many awards over the last decade at cheese fairs and usually come in 1st and 2nd place.

They specialize in Limburger cheese. This is a stinky but yummy cheese that originated in Belgium. The Chalet Cheese Co-op is the last place that makes this cheese in the traditional manner. I hope this cheese returns to be very popular and appreciated. I believe it is a product that is made because its makers love it. This is not so usual.

Myron Olson is the devoted general manager. He studied Economics and in order to pay for his studies he worked at farms around the area and learned the cheese making art in this fashion. He is a Wisconsin Master Cheesemaker, certified in Limburger, Baby Swiss and Brick cheeses. He seems very devoted to doing things properly and the old way. He was so kind to give us so much private time with him. He personally took us around the factory, explained general procedures, gave us tastes and smells of the different stages of cheese making, as well as of final products. He told us that once upon a time it was a poor mans lunch. A thick slice of rye bread with a piece of Limburger cheese! Sounds great. We loved the cheese and to my daughter's distain, bought some. The older it gets the softer and creamier until it approaches Brie texture.

The Chalet also produces traditional Swiss, Aged Swiss, Organic Swiss and whole milk Baby Swiss varieties; Brick and German Brick; Muenster and petite Muenster; and traditional Cheddar cheese varieties. We bought muenster and smoked swiss and Cheddar.

If anyone is in the vicinity I really suggest a visit. Perhaps those interested can even find a way to order!!

chalet.jpg

Cheese factory.jpg

cheese factory2.jpg

Monroe-CheeseFactory.JPG

limburger.jpg

Edited by Lior (log)

Limburger sandwiches! It's rare to find something as unique as that. And fried curds are good, but they're nothing but fried curds. They're good with beer.

There are so many stellar cheeses made here, I'm glad you got to enjoy some of them. My personal favorite right now is Fantome's Ridgeway Ghost, an aged goat sprinkled with a bit of some kind of special salt from Utah. I've never experienced a texture of goat cheese like that, densely fine-grained and creamy at the same time. Its flavor is mellow but nicely complex.

nunc est bibendum...

Thanks for the info! I see they sell their cheese (Fantome's) at Fromagination in Madison,near the capital square. Now why didn't I go there when I could have? :angry:! I will pass the info on to those who are there and can go!

They also have a stand at the market, pretty much right across from Fromagination. The woman who makes the cheese and what I assume to be her family members run it and they have samples of everything. Last Saturday a very knowledgeable teenage girl sold me on the Ridgway Ghost. She really knew what she was talking about-it was impressive.

nunc est bibendum...