• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MxMo August 2010: Brown, Bitter, and Stirred

Chris Amirault

Oh and as a bonus offering, I have a drink too: Not sure if it's bitter enough, and I normally build it on the rocks, but its definitely brown. Playing around with Smith & Cross Rum and thinking about my upcoming trip to New Orleans:

Lafitte's Pardon (working title)

1 oz Smith & Cross

1 oz Cognac

1 oz Carpano Antica

1 bsp Benedictine

3 dashes Angostura bitters

3 dashes Peychaud's bitters

Build on rocks and stir or stir with ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass. Lemon twist is nice either way.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Thanks, Andy. Fun read. But ... no Underburg cocktail? ;-)

I've bought and used Underburg for medicinal purposes before and it occurred to me that it might work well in place of Angostura in some applications but I've never really played around with it. Mea culpa. I did recently score a bottle of the old Zwack Unicum and it is very similar indeed, to my palate (sort of like a mix between Underburg and Fernet, really), so I may eventually come up with something to use it.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman