• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bar-B-Que and amazing dining in washington?

wawa

My girl friend has a meeting in washington at the begining of october. We will be staying at the Topaz Hotel on N Street. We would like to have a great american style Bar-B-Que meal (not a lot of these in Quebec City). Anything short distance from the hotel to recommand? Any other good restaurant we should try, like great asian or indian (my GF love indian food).

Also last year meeting was in Chicago, so we had to try Alinea. That was awesome, one of the beast meal I ever had. Next year its in San Francisco, so we are already planning to go to the French Laundry. Anything that good to suggest in Washington. Something with an impressing tour menu? Got to reserve fast has the trip is approaching.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions

Chris

Edited by wawa (log)

No, neither. Go to Jaleo or Zaytinya for some of Jose's great tapas. Central for some of Michel's great food. Proof for an amazing wine list and delicious food.

Forget the q. Forget the French Laundry. Why do you need to find that stuff in every city?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Good suggestion, look good. I also took a look at minibar. Seam interesting too.

We just love to have a amazing meal in highend restaurant once a year. Its kinda a tradition we've started during the annual meeting she is attending.

thanks.

More suggestion anyone? anything on Bar-B-Que?

Chris

Yea, an Andres place like Zaytinya or Jaleo would be sweet. And if your girl loves Indian she'll go crazy for Ehiopian. I don't know the tops but I'm sure if you poke around you can find them. I feel like I saw Marcus Samuelson or Bourdain do a piece from one of them recently but can't recall. D.C is touted to have the best though.

That wasn't chicken

Ethiopian places abound. I don't know which is the best, or if they're all just fairly average.

The top Indian restaurant, from all accounts, may well be Rasika.

The 3 or 4 or 5 barbecue places that I've tried (none of which have anywhere to sit down and eat inside) don't even compare with what we have here in NYC. Lately, people are talking, but I haven't been, about Mr. P's. It's served out of an old school bus parked near a metro station. I plan to give it a try as soon as I can.

If you're dying for that hi-tech tasting dinner, call and see if you can get a ressie at Minibar - but I've heard some less than great reports.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I don't know your parameters for "short distance from the hotel," but cabs tend to be plentiful and public transportation in DC is very good. Your hotel is close to the Dupont Circle stop on the Red Line, near a myriad of bus lines, and walking distance from lots of stuff. BTW, I love Kimpton hotels. If you're not a Kimpton InTouch member, you should sign up before you leave. It's free, and gets you several perks, including free Internet access.

Minibar, of course, for tour-type food. A reservation can be difficult to come by. Long eGullet thread here.

They're not tour-y like Alinea, but if you're unable to get into Minibar for your "high-end" meal, I strongly suggest either the main dining room at Palena (two stops north on the Red Line from Dupont Circle), City Zen at the Mandarin Oriental hotel (best take a cab), or Komi, which is just a few blocks from your hotel.

Definitely hit Rasika for Indian food. It's loud and often busy, but worth it.

Weinoo's recommendation of Proof is good. In a similar vein is Vidalia, very near your hotel.

One of the best dinner bargains in DC is the pre-theater menu at Tosca, home to some of the best sophisticated Italian food in the District.

If you're in the mood for an independent bookstore (with a café), Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe are on the other side of Dupont Circle from you.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer