• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the Skankiest Part of Your Kitchen?

Fess up. You're no more a crusader for hygiene or against pathogens than the next one.

What's the skankiest part of your kitchen? If you ran a restaurant, what would you think, "I hide that first if the inspector shows up"?

I'll start. A few of my cutting boards are, uh, dark on one side. Not the side I use, of course.

You go next.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Thankfully I have granite counters and they are cleverly "grouted" with a clear almost epoxy like fill at the counter to splash and splash to wall joints so I have no issues there.

My much used stainless heavy bottomed pot (1983 Pottery Barn) and sheet pan (mom's- at least 35 years old) have that baked in "stuff" that looks horrid but is almost a part of the piece.

Pot.JPG

Sheet pan.JPG

And of course the fact that the big dog hangs out in the kitchen, has his dishes there and one of his beds...

Don't worry: germs need at least six seconds to jump onto a piece of raw meat you've dropped.

You mean there's actual science behind the Ten Second Rule?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

The floor. Have I ever mention my hatred of tile, and grout in particular? I stopped even trying...

I 2nd this.

I 3rd this, and add the air vent located under my feet when I'm chopping stuff. I don't shop-vac it often enough.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I have lived through tile floors in my long married life, but a wood floor is best. Doesn't show dirt until it's REALLY dirty.

I don't like the fan over the stove. Yucky and so fast.

Also, I hate the word 'skanky'.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My range is a model with the controls at the back, and since it has no real exhaust system, the back part gets covered in gunk. Every once in a while, I get out the Goo Gone, which seems to be the only thing that takes it off. Then it's clean for a few hours, until I start cooking again.

It's all skanky but I think the top of the fridge is the worst. I put tomatos up there to ripen, you see, and sometimes I forget I have them...

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

The gap between the stove/range and the counter. All sorts of thing fall down there when I am chopping and prepping.

Forgot about those gaps. A lizard ran in the house a while ago and I was convinced it was under the stove. A rigorous broom swiping revealed 3 cat toys from a previous resident - ack - who knows what else is under that small space.

I have lived through tile floors in my long married life, but a wood floor is best. Doesn't show dirt until it's REALLY dirty.

Which is why my kitchen floor gets my vote. Another reason to love wood floors.

Come to think of it, the wall next to my stove is pretty bad too.

Who would put a stovetop right next to a wall? My one big burner is of course on the wall side. Tons of oil, duck fat, red sauce, and other unkowns splatter the wall.

They will have a good time painting that when I move out.

I was going to say my fridge but then responses here got me to thinking about the hood exhaust fan, which has spent its life sucking the spray off of gas-burnered woks. I'd goo-be-gone it, but I'm starting to think of the grease haze as patina.

The extractor fan above my gas range scores highly on any skankiness index.

Airborne grease gets sucked in whilst cooking and congeals within. Next time a gas burner is lit, it uncongeals and drips out around the edge of a light fitting. Big brown blobs of gooey horror. I think I intercept most of them but I'm sure that some will drop into the food cooking below. Cleaning the contraption has no effect. The stuff is probably not dangerous in any way but aesthetically....