• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg only custard problem

Nancy M.

I don't eat dairy products or grains but I manage to make a really good tasting lemon custard with just whole eggs, lemon juice and non-caloric sweeteners. Great stuff! I've figured out I can make this with my water-bath and cook it for 30-40 minutes at 155 degrees and it turns out nice.

However, I'd like to make other flavors other than citrus but I am having a really tough time doing it. I guess the acid makes the eggs thicken at a lower temperature. I think maybe the issue is I'm using yolks and whites and they coagulate at different temperatures, maybe the acid removes that variability.

I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions? 155 seemed too low. I tried cooking it for 60-90 minutes and couldn't get it firm enough. I've tried slightly higher temps and I either overshoot or undershoot.

Anyway, my goal is to only use eggs, no dairy, no flour. A little xanthan gum, or similar, is okay though.

Any suggestions?

Interesting question. I love lemmon posset however it manges to set after just boiling double cream for 2 to 3 mins then and adding lemon juice, it sets, no eggs needed. Example recipe http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/536253

But when I make a crème brulee it takes the same amount of cream and 6 egg yolks, and get the temp wrong and it splits. But I've never had a posset go wrong one me.

Bet the answer in in McGee but it's late and off to bed

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

I don't use dairy in my lemon custard at all. Just eggs, lemon and sweetener. I used to call it lemon curd, because I started with that recipe but I don't add butter.

I suspect I might be able to fix the problem by just using the yolks but that leaves me with a lot of whites I won't have a use for -- I don't eat grains so a angel food cake is out of the question.

I guess I have to try it with yolks once if only to satisfy my curiosity!