• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shaven, Not Stirred

Teppy

I'm planning to give away about 1000 alcoholic shave ice/snow cones at Burning Man, two weeks from now. I won't have access to fresh produce, but I'm using high quality powdered flavors (TropicalSno). I'll be doing classic drinks including margaritas, daiquiris, etc.

I'd imagine that cheap vodka (Potter's, at $10/1.75L) won't make a difference in taste.

What about rum - will the difference between very cheap rum (Potter's $12/1.75L) and something in the $20 range be noticeable?

And finally, Tequila - $17 for good old Potter's, $25 for Cuervo Gold, or $?? for something better?

BTW - any eGullet folk going to Burning Man? I'll be in the 9:00 Plaza, camped with Enlightenedville.

Although it may go against the standard cocktail-wiener wisdom, for such an event, I go with cheap booze and fresh juices/flavors if at all possible. No one is going to care about the nuances of the taste - if they could even tell in the hot dry air and with the ice. I think the flavoring will make all the difference. Some citrus wedges or even bringing in a few planters with fresh mint would be fantastic. When I went to a Rainbow gathering, the load of fresh fruit that someone packed in was definitely the high point.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

For rum, I would spring for something along the lines of bacardi, little bit nicer.

Tequila is in one of those categories for me with gins and bourbons where quality makes a huge difference. It is, unfortunately, the most expensive to get into the good quality stuff. Maybe shoot for a cheap silver?

As for vodka, you can always just run it through a brita 10 times.

...then again you are giving these away to a bunch of people who are already probably pretty tuned up, so it may make no difference at all.

Edited by ChickenStu (log)