• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perfectly Shaped Hard Toffee Pieces... How?

xxchef

I've been making our Butter Almond Toffee for sale commercially for about 20 years. It's hugely popular around the winter holidays. I've always been happy with the rustic look (cooled sheets of toffee, coated each side with chocolate with more nuts embedded then broken up before boxing). I'm a one-man shop and last year I sold just under 1000 lbs of this between the end of October and Christmas.

This year I want to add a more refined product as an alternative. I'm thinking squares of various flavored, wafer-thin (maybe 1/8th - 3/16th inch) nut-less butter toffee pieces, individually dipped in chocolate but I'm at a loss as to the best way to get nearly-uniform pieces to work with. I want to find a way do do fairly large batches at a time in an efficient manner but so far my small-batch experiments have not been very promising.

Once the toffee layers are cool they are too brittle to cut. They are way too hard to use a guitar-type cutter on. The layers don't cool evenly (edges harden while center is still molten) so cutting or scoring then doesn't work. I think it would be next to impossible to use molds (not that I've found any appropriate ones even) because with the time it would take to fill them the molten toffee in the pot will either over-cook or, if I cold-shock the pan to prevent that it will set-up in the pan (not to mention the difficulty in getting uniform thicknesses between pieces if the mold isn't exactly the right thickness).

My best success was by taking the fully cooled toffee sheets and warming them slightly in an oven, scoring deeply, cooling then breaking the pieces apart. "Best" but not "good" as there was some fairly significant loss due to breakage and the method created a lot of toffee frass/dust that was difficult from keeping out of the dipping chocolate.

I've seen this type of product from large-scale producers but there should be a way to do it without a factory and $$$ in special equipment. Right?

All suggestions GREATLY appreciated!

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

I am not a candy-maker AT ALL... But, would there be a way to put down a grid that you could pour onto, or alternatively, set into the toffee as soon as you pour it onto a sheet pan, that would separate the pieces? If you could do that (I'm thinking of something like this, but thinner, could it be left there until the toffee started to harden, then removed so it would be easier to break the pieces apart?

I'm probably not the first person to think of this, but I have no idea how well it would work. Good Luck with your quest!

I have been making toffee for about 14 years now and personally like the "finished" look better. I use a caramel cutter from Savage to score the toffee after I've poured it and spread it on my marble for cooling. This has to be done at the optimum time, because, as you know, if the toffee is to fluid the scoring will just run back onto itself and it's done, if you wait until the toffee is cold, you'll never score it.

Once it's scored, I then use a sharp knife to go over my cuts to deepen the scoring and then I break it all apart my hand - followed of course by enrobing.

Hope this helps - if you look for the 2010 Chocolate Conference Report, you'll see a photograph of the caramel cutter I use - it is an invaluable tool

I am not a candy-maker AT ALL... But, would there be a way to put down a grid that you could pour onto, or alternatively, set into the toffee as soon as you pour it onto a sheet pan, that would separate the pieces? If you could do that (I'm thinking of something like this, but thinner, could it be left there until the toffee started to harden, then removed so it would be easier to break the pieces apart?

I'm probably not the first person to think of this, but I have no idea how well it would work. Good Luck with your quest!

Confectionery partner, Barbara, and I have two of those Perfect Brownie pans and make our toffee pieces in them. They work really well. Hokey looking...but they work nicely.

ps. The Perfect Brownie pan has 18 divisions to its grid.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I do caramels on a weekly basis, but these are soft, about the same consistancy as a Kraft square. What I do is slab it, when cold score it, and then cut with a knife with lots of back-and forth movement.

Just thinking out loud now...

If you got a rubber/silicone mat with holes in it--similar to the ones used for chocolate making, laid it on a parchment paper, and poured the hot toffee over it, scraped it smooth, waited untill it got hard and then removed the rubber stencil, would it work?.....

RobertM has the right idea. Pour your batch on sheet pans--marble cools it too fast. Use a roller knife or if you are really fast, use a pizza wheel. Score the cooling toffee. When it is cooled, it will snap on the score marks. If you mark it too soon, the lines will fill in again. To prevent this, you can sift cocoa powder on the slab before scoring. The cocoa settles in the marks and lets it snap on the line. I do 12# of butter and 12# of sugar batches all the time. I usually pour onto course almonds and cover the toffee with chocolate and fine almonds and break apart. If I am going to enrobe, I score and snap.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I do 12# of butter and 12# of sugar batches all the time.

Hi Ruth,

Could you explain what this means, please? Sorry, somehow I can't figure it out.

Good ideas about breaking. Will try it next. The brownie pans satisfy my lazy instincts. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Most toffee recipes are for equal amounts of butter and sugar. I was just saying that I make rather large batches and it works to score it that way.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

Back in the early toffee making days, I used to use a spatuala to spread my toffee. That is UNTIL I dragged three fingers on my right hand through the liquid butter/sugar. (oh - such burns...)

I have two helpers with me to assist in the spreading, scoring and breaking - I usually make a batch with a total weight of about 24 pounds (raw toffee) - I add almonds to my butter/sugar - then, hand dip each piece and coat with almonds. It makes a nice presentation -

The marble I use is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick - I don't find that it cools it too quickly. I've thought about purchasing a water cooled table, but, find that I like the idea of the marble table - Chocolot - with the size batches your making, how do you evenly distribute the cooked toffee to sheet pans? I have a Savage lifter that has truly saved my back - but, in the event it's being used for another project, I will use two people to lift and pour the toffee onto the marble - just wondering what your process is to distribute that hot sugar/butter.

Sounds like we make about the same size batch:-) I have a jib crane that we can use if only 2 of us. I prefer to have 3 people. Like you, two lift and pour, and one (me) spreads. We line up 6 full sized sheet pans, cover with dry roasted almonds and pour and spread.(they just walk down either side of the tables). Top with dark chocolate and a sprinkle of fleur de sel. When not using the nuts, we pour into sheet pans, spread and score. I have hand dipped and then rolled in chopped nuts, but that is too time consuming. I just got word that my enrober is being shipped! I will then have a whole new set of questions:-) BTW, my husband splattered some hot toffee on his wrist. He will have the scars forever. The important part is he didn't drop the kettle:-)

cruise 179.jpg

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

I find it totally amazing that for something as simple as toffee there exist many different "methods" of getting to the final product - for example, you put the dry roasted almonds in your pans, pour the toffee on top - while I put almonds into the mixture while it's cooking - (more like crushed almonds, not whole) - it's one of the many things I love about the confectionery business - it's basically the 'same' product, but different - - -

I will look through my pictures at home and see if I can find a few of my Savage kettle lifter - I don't think I have any of the toffee on the marble - to much going on at the time to take the time to photograph - LOL - I'm sure you understand.

I use a caramel cutter from Savage to score the toffee after I've poured it and spread it on my marble for cooling. <snip> ...if you look for the 2010 Chocolate Conference Report, you'll see a photograph of the caramel cutter I use - it is an invaluable tool.

Robert-

This looks like exactly what I need (great pix on the "2010 Chocolate Conference Report" pages).

BTW, in one of the Conference pictures of you cutting there is just the corner of a wooden object. Is that a holder for your cutter?

I've been in touch with Savage but have been told by them that it is difficult and very time consuming to adjust the spacing of the cutters. I want to use it for cutting toffee and caramels (different sizes). They (of course) suggest that I but TWO of the cutters! What is your experience in changing the blade settings?

Thanks!

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

BMR on FaceBook

Just found a YouTube video of the Savage Bros Caramel Cutter in action. Check it out here...

Watched the video twice to get the sense of it completely. Obviously they are cutting two different confections.

What would they do next with the first cut caramel pieces? Line them up again to enrobe them?

I make small batches of same. Now confectionery partner, Barbara, and I use the two funny Perfect Brownie pans and end up with 36 squares which we leave more or less together and then spread the chocolate on them and then the nuts, etc. This is no problem with such small batches. (We don't sell stuff...just give it away so we don't eat it all ourselves).

Seems to me not to be all that useful with the Savage roller if next you are going to enrobe the caramel and put nuts on top of that with such a huge batch. Then you have to crack the chocolate at least.

Someone please correct my misunderstandings.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Matfer (www.matfer.com) makes a similiar roller, which I've used in the past--veddy veddy expensive, but you get, I think, 24 discs which you can space to your liking.

I have made my own rollers, one with 1" spacing, and one with 3/4" spacing. I got the s/s discs from a pastry equipment supplier for $2.00 each and got a length of threaded steel rod from the hardware store. Spacing was achieved by sandwiching the discs between nylon washers and I made my own handles from beech wood. A S/S acorn nut at either end locks in the entire assembly. My total cost was around $40 for the roller, and it isn't really all that hard to make.

Depending on your caramel recipie, it might be a dream to cut with , or a nightmare. My caramel (Grewling's recipie) is quite sticky, and the caramel just climbs onto the roller. I use the roller to score the slab and then use a heavy Chef's knife to cut--no buttering is needed, just plenty of back-and-forth movement.

One of the virtues of such a roller is that it can be heated. I keep mine in my top oven where it is warm, and this is ideal to cut slabs of ganache into squares for dipping.

Waaay back when I worked for an employer who had 6 coffee houses and would supply each cup of coffee sold with a almond finger. These were cookies about 3/4" wide and maybe 1/1/4" long. I would sheet out kilo after kilo of the dough on the dough sheeter to the required thickness, use the Matfer cutter to cut into long strips, then then "Bicycle" or exapandable wheel cutter to cut to length. For doughs like this it is importnat to start in the middle of the dough and work to either end. If you start at one end the dough will climb onto the roller.

xxchef

In response to your questions;

The wooden "box" is indeed what I keep the roller/cutter in when not in use. Savage shipped the piece in that wooden piece and I thought - aha - why not just keep that around to minimize the number of cuts (to hands, fingers, etc) that could be possible -

The piece is not that difficult to take apart and put back together, I do it often to clean the blades, BUT, there is no way you could disassemble and then quickly reassemble for cutting your toffee before it hardens. For that, you would need two units.

After some research I've found a number of rolling cutters on the market in a range of styles and prices. Here are the ones so far (info current as of 8/20/2010)...

Matfer Bourgeat UNIVERSAL ADJUSTING DOUGH CUTTER

roller1.JPG

$340 - $676

http://www.amazon.com/UNIVERSAL-ADJUSTING-CUTTER-Matfer-Bourgeat/dp/B000KENPX0/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1282333430&sr=8-36

Zesco Multiple Disc Dough Cutter - Stainless Steel - 24" and 30" Long

roller2.JPG

$29 - $39 for handle, plus $17.90 - $19 for EACH blade

http://www.zesco.com/products.cfm?subCatID=2103&PGroupID=020501AZ02

Tomric CARAMEL CUTTER

roller3.JPG

$189.95 (out of stock)

http://www.tomric.com/ItemDetail.aspx?cmd=local&item=5048

Savage Bros. Adjustable Roller Cutter

roller4.JPG

$? (custom designed. haven't been able to get them to quote me a price yet for the one I want)

http://www.savagebros.com/media/pdfs/03-Roller%20Cutter.pdf

I'd like to put together a fairly comprehensive list here so if you know of others get me the source and I'll add it to this post.

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

BMR on FaceBook

The piece is not that difficult to take apart and put back together, I do it often to clean the blades, BUT, there is no way you could disassemble and then quickly reassemble for cutting your toffee before it hardens. For that, you would need two units.

That sounds promising. My toffee pieces will be square so no need to re-set between cuts on it and I can plan my work to do caramels one day and toffee another or at least allow enough time between to re-set for the different sizes.

One more question (I seem to be having trouble getting answers from Savage for some reason): Can the blades be set at ANY distance or is the spacing determined by the size of the spacers available and on hand? If limited, what are the stock spacer sizes? My caramels are 7/8"x7/8" and my toffee 1.25"x1.25".

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

BMR on FaceBook

They offer 3/4, 1/2 and 1/8 inch washers. You can combine as needed. I have also used SS washers to get a closer size. I use the 6 inch blades so the caramel doesn't creep as much.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

Thanks Ruth. That's exactly the information I was looking for. Good tip on using the 6" knives too.

Do you find you are able to cut completely through the caramels or are you just deeply scoring them and finishing with a knife?

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

BMR on FaceBook

The knives are capable of cutting all the way through. It sort of depends on how well I have cooked them:-) I let them stand at least one day (for some reason they seem to cut cleaner if I do that). I cut them on a self-healing mat. If I had more arm strength, it wouldn't be a problem. I usually put a chocolate foot on the slab of caramel and cut away. If you rock the cutter back and forth, it will cut all the way through. Start in the center and work out to the edges or you will roll up the strips as you cut. A word of caution--the knives are fairly sharp and the handle very heavy. Be careful that it doesn't fall onto your foot, or the floor. I bought my first knife used and it came with 4 inch blades. Before I got it, it had been dropped and the blades had dents in them. I took them to a knife sharpener and he took out the dents but told me not to come back with them again:-)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

... I usually put a chocolate foot on the slab of caramel and cut away.

I assume you "foot" the slab in preparation for dipping so the fork doesn't stick and you get a nice base? I've had some trouble with the feet falling off my caramels when I cut them. That may be because of the pressure I'm having to apply with my big 2-handled knife. Maybe with the rolling cutter they'll stay put better??

Before I got it, it had been dropped and the blades had dents in them. I took them to a knife sharpener and he took out the dents but told me not to come back with them again:-)

Oh Man, I don't imagine that trying to sharpen discs is much fun even without dents!

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

BMR on FaceBook

Sharpening the blades is actually fairly easy--if you have the "right" equipment.

Whatchya need is a wood turner's lathe OR a drill press, OR a drill fixed in a vice or somehow held stationary.

Get a 3-4" bolt aprox 3/8 thick with two nuts.

Sandwich the blade inbetween the head of the nut and snug up the bolts.

Place this assembly in the Chuck of the drill/lathe, and start it on slow speed.

Use a coarse then a fine abrasive material as the blade is rotating.

Repeat with each wheel.

If you read my post above, I have made two such cutting devices, each with an aprox cost of under CDN $40. True, I got the wheels at bakery supply store, sold as "replacement pizza cutting wheels".

But no one said you couldn't buy a dozen pizza wheels at a dollar store and drill out the rivets to use, even the better quality ones are under $15.00.........

After some research I've found a number of rolling cutters on the market in a range of styles and prices. Here are the ones so far (info current as of 8/20/2010)...

Matfer Bourgeat UNIVERSAL ADJUSTING DOUGH CUTTER

roller1.JPG

$340 - $676

http://www.amazon.com/UNIVERSAL-ADJUSTING-CUTTER-Matfer-Bourgeat/dp/B000KENPX0/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1282333430&sr=8-36

Zesco Multiple Disc Dough Cutter - Stainless Steel - 24" and 30" Long

roller2.JPG

$29 - $39 for handle, plus $17.90 - $19 for EACH blade

http://www.zesco.com/products.cfm?subCatID=2103&PGroupID=020501AZ02

Tomric CARAMEL CUTTER

roller3.JPG

$189.95 (out of stock)

http://www.tomric.com/ItemDetail.aspx?cmd=local&item=5048

Savage Bros. Adjustable Roller Cutter

roller4.JPG

$? (custom designed. haven't been able to get them to quote me a price yet for the one I want)

http://www.savagebros.com/media/pdfs/03-Roller%20Cutter.pdf

I'd like to put together a fairly comprehensive list here so if you know of others get me the source and I'll add it to this post.

Here's another one (looks very similar to the Zesco model listed previously)...

Pastry Chef Central UNIVERSAL ADJUSTABLE CUTTER

roller5.JPG

13 sharp 4 ¼” stainless steel cutting blades mounted on a 30" long stainless steel rod

$279.99

http://www.pastrychef.com/UNIVERSAL-ADJUSTABLE-CUTTER_p_1181.html

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

BMR on FaceBook

Sharpening the blades is actually fairly easy--if you have the "right" equipment.

Whatchya need is a wood turner's lathe OR a drill press, OR a drill fixed in a vice or somehow held stationary...

Excellent suggestion on sharpening. Thanks.

...I got the wheels at bakery supply store, sold as "replacement pizza cutting wheels"...

I was hoping for 6" but the largest pizza cutter wheels I've found are 5" have you found any larger?

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

BMR on FaceBook