• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for Leiden, Holland?

pedie

We are leaving in a couple of weeks for Leiden (Holland) where we will spend one week in an apartment, taking day trips to various places. We have been watching the Amsterdam postings and have a number of suggested places for an tasty, local, not-too-pricey meal. But, since our home base will be Leiden, we would appreciate any recommendations for that town. Also any local dishes that we should be sure to try while we are there.

This will be our first time in the Netherlands and we want to experience the culture and a big part of that for us is the food! :-)

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

I am Dutch and one thing you will have to try are the Dutch pancakes. They are the size of dinner plates and very good. They are nothing like what we in North America call pancakes. They have restaurants there called "Pannekoek Huisen" and that is the only thing they specialize in. Note my spelling is approximate as my Dutch is no longer that good. If you decide to try this, you will have no problems finding such a place.

We are leaving in a couple of weeks for Leiden (Holland) where we will spend one week in an apartment, taking day trips to various places. We have been watching the Amsterdam postings and have a number of suggested places for an tasty, local, not-too-pricey meal. But, since our home base will be Leiden, we would appreciate any recommendations for that town. Also any local dishes that we should be sure to try while we are there.

This will be our first time in the Netherlands and we want to experience the culture and a big part of that for us is the food! :-)

from someone I know who lives in leiden, I always hear good things about Italian deli Pomino Might be useful since you're staying in an apartment.

And you can't go wrong with the bread from Vlaamsch Broodhuys.

Thanks for the suggestions...I will try to remember to post our dining experiences when we return. :-)

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.