• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French Onion Soup - too sweet

StanSherman

Agree, I'd use salt in preference to sour. This would allow you to keep the overall flavour profile of French Onion soup while adjusting the flavour profile.

If the product is still out of balance after using salt to rectify, then use some sour to give a three way balance.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Veal stock and lots of salt.

If you have access to veal stock, you could take about half the broth out of the soup and replace it with a good, reduced stock.

Or for a more creative approach...add brewers yeast, ferment, and have the worlds first onion soup brew. The acidity (and salt) would probably kill off the yeast though...just thinking outside the box.

This has happened to me many times. Our locally grown onions are also quite sweet. I bring it to a simmer and add a tablespoon of lemon juice, simmer for a few minutes, taste and add more if needed. You can also add a small amount of salt but only a pinch, after adding the lemon juice.

There is no standard amount, you must balance it by taste.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett