• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help with ideas for food column!

barcelonabites

Hi Everyone,

I have a newspaper interested in ideas for a food column and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions? What aspect of food culture would you love to read about (on a monthly basis!)? The audience would be quite international so it shouldn't be anything too region-specific. I would LOVE to hear your ideas!!

What about something relating to how food is named, you could explore different foods with unique names or even common foods and discuss where their names came from, kind of a more anthropological bent to food writing. For example, barbecue coming from the West Indies Barbacoa, and the related meanings. But then again, I'm a geek and etymology has always interested me...

Good Luck!

Edited by Genkinaonna (log)

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

We just completed a Learning-in-Retirement class on the topic of food. The format is peer-taught, so each member was responsible for teaching one class. Each person selected a food item and did extensive research on the item and then taught us what they learned. It was a bit on the order of reading one of the food books written by Mark Kurlansky. The research covered everything from the origination of the item, the cultural aspects, the political aspects (Were wars fought over it! Were people fined because of it? Were legal battles entered over it?), the nutritional aspects of it and ways to enjoy it. It was a fantastic class, especially when someone brought sample items. We were surprised at how fascinating it all was and we even looked at humble barley differently. This is all a prelude to suggest that you take a food item and share little known facts about it...maybe ending with a recipe?

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

How 'bout a monthly culinary preview of global holidays, festivals and/or events. Regional Ramadan foods, Christmas foods around the world.... What's cooking at the Formula One Grand Prix of Monaco? Etc, etc, etc.

Or, a monthly update of what's coming into season where? Like the above, but more about harvests (harvest festivals?) and game seasons.

There are some commonalities among the world's major cuisines that could be fodder for columns. For example, most every cuisine has some variant of the dumpling. People might be interested in reading about dumplings around the world. That sort of thing.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

No problem! I figure if I'm interested, someone else somewhere must be...let me know if you end up using it, I'd be interested in reading it!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

There are some commonalities among the world's major cuisines that could be fodder for columns. For example, most every cuisine has some variant of the dumpling. People might be interested in reading about dumplings around the world. That sort of thing.

I'm pretty sure most cuisines have sweetened, fried dough, too, in some form or another. And I, for one, want to know how to make every single one of them.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

How about following a cuisine outside its home country exploring variations in how its been adapted to foreign palates? General Tso's chicken believed to be invented in and mostly N.American centric for ex. I went to a Chinese place in Florence once that cooked everything in olive oil (wasn't very good). That sort of thing

That wasn't chicken

Mmmmmm... ideas for a food column?

My entire life is consumed with the food and hospitality industry, so I have only one general topic to suggest:

Politics

To the best of my knowledge no one writes about the politics of the hospitality industry, and I don't know why this is, and also don't know if it would "sell". But it is interesting...

Here are a few ideas for various articles:

1) Industry benchmarks. What benchmarks are there there for cooks and waiters? For Chefs and Maitre D's? Are these National benchmarks or Provincial/State?

2) Hospitality Unions. What changes have they brought to the industry? What benchmarks or standards have they introduced? How closely do they operate with trade schools in designing culinary curriculum?

3) Culinary Schools. There are tremendous variations in the curriculums of every Culinary school, with some schools graduating students after 4 mths, and some after 2 or even 3 years. What benchmarks do these schools acknowledge when designing curriculums? How does one offer "degrees" in manual trades like cooking or baking? How aggresively do the schools recruit?

4) Social customs in N. America. Why is it a social custom to tip a percentage of the entire dining experience to only one employee in N. American restaurants? Is this changeable?

5) Biting the hand.....Why is it that all of N.American media (with emphasis on the publishing media) simply refuse to acknowledge the use of a scale in the private home? Is it that they feel the "typical" N. American can not adjust to such technology? Do they understand that virtually every N.American uses scales at work--from supermarket cashiers to lab techs to truckdrivers, from airport check-in staff to doctors?

6) Bakers. What benchmarks or standards are there for bakers? Do you forsee the dissapearance of small independant bakeries in the near future?

Many, many more topics. All of them closely linked with future of the hospitality industry. Will it "sell" though? Or does everyone just want recipies, new wonder ingredients, and the restaurant scene's "openings and clsoings"?