• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Jam/ Preserves/ Compote

teagal

Okay, I've been seen a lot of tomato jam type recipes lately and have made a compote and bought a jam. They were both so sweet, but also a little savory and the tomato taste is still very much present. At a loss as to what to do with them. The only thing I can come up with is maybe as part of a cheese plate or as a cheaper version, served with some cream cheese and crackers. To me its too sweet to serve as a type of chutney with meat, but too tomatoey to put on toast. Hmmm... is it just me or is there something else to use it for?

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

I like to pair it with the stronger cheeses.

On an English muffin, split, toasted and anointed with a "schmear" of Brie!

On buttered cornbread - also topping grilled or fried polenta (or grits, for those of the southern persuasion).

With grilled sausages - teamed with spicy mustard - especially on brats!

Here are a few more ideas.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I like it with pimento cheese. It is also pretty tasty with well-seasoned grilled lamb chops. Sometimes I put it on veggie burgers with spicy mustard, red onion, dill pickles, and arugula.

I am also a huge fan of green tomato jam.

This recipe Aunt Hattie Anne's Green Tomato pie filling works just as well as jam or preserves.

You don't have to process it for canning, unless you want to. I usually make a batch, use some for a small pie and the rest goes into the fridge.

I often add one or two small mildly hot peppers - I love the Caloro peppers, which have a bit more bite than jalapenos but also a fruity flavor that combines beautifully with the green tomatoes.

You can add just a small amount, cook and taste and add more if you like it a bit spicier.

I often top this pie (while still warm when served) with cream cheese or sour cream. Great flavor combination.

It also goes good with cheeses, even the fairly strong ones.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

It should be good on burgers or anywhere you would normally use ketchup.

I found a recipe for tomatillo lime marmalade with ginger. I have no idea what to do with this one either!

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Had it tonight on a brat with some dijon mustard. Fantastic! Can't wait to try it on an english muffin. Thanks for the ideas.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman