• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone have a 1978 or 1986 edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook?

jeffknop

and i think one of the recipes in this book involved taking green food coloring and putting it on coconut shavings on some kind of weird hamburger.

Here is just such a recipe from Betty Crocker. No mention of which book it originally appeared in, but sounds like you're on the right track.

Betty Crocker Hamburger Cookies

thanks james, that looks familiar to me, i'll do more research on it.

On a whim I looked at Betty Crocker's Cookbook For Boys & Girls, 1975 edition, at the public library. There's a pic of the Monopoly playing board, with the Go space, on page 115. Your public library must have a different edition.

Other info about the 1975 edition: On the cover is a pic of kids eating squares of chocolate cake. Published by Golden Press, NY, NY; printed by Western Publishing Company, Racine, Wisconsin; Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 74-23006.

Your public library may be able to find this book on interlibrary loan. Or you could try buying it on Abebooks.

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

On a whim I looked at Betty Crocker's Cookbook For Boys & Girls, 1975 edition, at the public library. There's a pic of the Monopoly playing board, with the Go space, on page 115. Your public library must have a different edition.

Other info about the 1975 edition: On the cover is a pic of kids eating squares of chocolate cake. Published by Golden Press, NY, NY; printed by Western Publishing Company, Racine, Wisconsin; Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 74-23006.

Your public library may be able to find this book on interlibrary loan. Or you could try buying it on Abebooks.

The one at my library was the 1984 edition, so you may be onto something here. I'll do some more googling now. Thanks a lot.

Djyee, does the book you found at the public library have a recipe for hamburger cookies? Could you check, please? Thanks a lot.

Djyee, does the book you found at the public library have a recipe for hamburger cookies? Could you check, please? Thanks a lot.

I checked the index. No entry for "hamburger cookies" under "hamburger" or "cookies."

Betty Crocker's Cookbook For Boys & Girls was published for decades in different editions. If you get a list of all the editions and check them out (try the reference librarian at your public library), you may find the cookbook you're looking for.

I looked at mine and sorry no monopoly stuff, but thank you for having me crack them open! The ones I have were from my Grandmother and some pretty funny pictures and old-school stlye cooking in there! I have a 1969 "New Picture" Betty Crocker Cookbook, 1959 "Guide to Easy Entertaining" Betty Crocker Cookbook, and a 1954 "Good and Easy" Betty Crocker Cookbook. The best part was reading my Grandmother's pencil notes in the margins and dates when tried and modified. My mother has 3 other versions she bought from 1976 to 1985 that I am looking forward to seeing as well as the other two much older Betty Crocker cookbooks that she just isn't ready to let me have yet.

• 3 months later...

The name of the cookie? Or do you mean the book is actually Hershey's Kidsnacks and people were searching for Betty Crocker for Kids for nothing? :laugh:

Looks like that's the name of the book.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bonnie Slotnick, a used cookbook seller from New York City, will have the answer to this question.  You can google her.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 1 month later...