• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone have a 1978 or 1986 edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook?

jeffknop

does anyone have the 1978 or the 1986 edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook? if so, can you check the book and see if on one of its pages there is a picture of the "go" space from monopoly? i'm trying to find out which cookbook this was, i remember it from my childhood. post if u know what i'm talking about, thanks.

Do you remember anything more about it other than the photo of the "Go" from Monopoly? Like any of the dishes/recipes? The cover?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I kind of wonder if maybe it's the Better Homes & Gardens from that era. Seems to me they had a lot of illustrations.

Although if they were using a photo of a Monopoly Game, they'd have to credit it in some manner, I'd think. I can't help but wonder what was the connection.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Abebooks, a consortium of used book sellers, lists Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys and Girls, dated 1978.

http://www.abebooks.com/

Googlebooks has a pic of the cover, here. Look familiar?

http://books.google.com/books?id=bB0JAAAACAAJ&dq=BETTY+CROCKER%27S+COOKBOOK+FOR+BOYS+%26+GIRLS&hl=en&ei=4phpTN3ID464sQOIl9GMBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAA

If you want to do a further search on Abebooks, I suggest you first search for "Betty Crocker Cookbook." When the results pop up, do a second search within the results for whatever year (or other keywords) that might help.

For any book that you think might be IT, you can query the vendor about the "Go" Monopoly pic before you buy the book. Many of the vendors are small sellers & they will answer questions prior to a sale.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

do you have the home and garden book that you're talking about, and if so, can you please look in it and see if they have a monopoly board pic in one of the pages? and yes, i know the betty crocker cookbook for boys and girls has a picture of the go board on its cover, so maybe that's it, but as i remember this book had a pic in the body of the book.

and i just checked the "betty crocker's cookbook for boys and girls" in the library, that's not the one i'm looking for, despite the fact that it has the go space from monopoly on its cover. the cookbook i'm looking for had a picture of the go space from monopoly on one of the pages in the book in the body of the book itself. someone please help, thanks.

I kind of wonder if maybe it's the Better Homes & Gardens from that era. Seems to me they had a lot of illustrations.

Although if they were using a photo of a Monopoly Game, they'd have to credit it in some manner, I'd think. I can't help but wonder what was the connection.

jaymes, if they had to credit it some manner, would that make the cookbook in which it was in easier to find? i'm just asking because i'm trying to find the cookbook in was in, thanks.

OK, my curiosity's getting the better of me here. Are you looking for this cookbook because you remember a particular recipe from it? Or is it just one of those things that haunts you in the wee hours of the morning, and you've decided to get to the bottom of it? Settling a bet? Inquiring minds want to know, you know.

OK, my curiosity's getting the better of me here. Are you looking for this cookbook because you remember a particular recipe from it? Or is it just one of those things that haunts you in the wee hours of the morning, and you've decided to get to the bottom of it? Settling a bet? Inquiring minds want to know, you know.

it is a cookbook that i remember reading from in my early childhood and it has extreme nostalgic value to me. i scoured the house for it but could not find it, not knowing the name of the cookbook makes it that much harder to find. i was looking in my basement for a few hours before i found a spider in one of the boxes of books, and i had to quit because i'm afraid of spiders, so i can't look in the basement anymore for it.

it is a cookbook that i remember reading from in my early childhood and it has extreme nostalgic value to me. i scoured the house for it but could not find it, not knowing the name of the cookbook makes it that much harder to find. i was looking in my basement for a few hours before i found a spider in one of the boxes of books, and i had to quit because i'm afraid of spiders, so i can't look in the basement anymore for it.

If you have boxes of books in your basement, and there's a chance that cookbook is in one of them, I suggest that perhaps you round up a few friends that are not afraid of spiders and ask them to help you.

Tell them you'll provide the drinks and refreshments, and a special bonus to anybody that finds that particular book.

Here is a link to a vintage cookbook seller....

http://search.rubylane.com/search?page=1&ss=cookbook

If you see any familiar covers they will answer questions. I recently found the cookbook I was searching for at grandmas...YaY

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

General Mills owned both Parker Brothers (which made Monopoly) and Betty Crocker, so that's the connection.

You might want to contact the people who hold the copyright for the game, Milton Bradly, I believe. Find a trivia loving person there, and ask them. The company would have had to license the use of that image. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

and i think one of the recipes in this book involved taking green food coloring and putting it on coconut shavings on some kind of weird hamburger.

Here is just such a recipe from Betty Crocker. No mention of which book it originally appeared in, but sounds like you're on the right track.

Betty Crocker Hamburger Cookies