• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2011 Candy and Confectionery Conference

Kerry Beal

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1 (+1 states she is coming with or without him!)

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

Tino27

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

psantucci

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

chocolot

mkayahara

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

Tino27

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

psantucci

ArtMills +1

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

chocolot

mkayahara

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

Tino27

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

psantucci

ArtMills +1

chocolot

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

mkayahara

What we need, and are prepared to do the research, is a dog-friendly motel, under $100.00 if possible. Driving some distance back and forth is not a problem. I don't know this region and so will have to look it up soon.

However, if someone knows of such a place, and can save me the work :raz: , do let me know please.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks for the link, Elsie. I did notice that each dog is $25 per night. That's $50 per night for our two dogs. On top of the price. But then it is our problem to solve. Thanks.

Canada is so different from the USA re dogs in motels and hotels. Never in any American city or in the middle of nowhere have we ever found any difficulty in finding a reasonably priced motel which will take our dogs. Just me ranting...

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Foolish me, I somehow overlooked the Motel 6. Made a reservation for four nights, May 12,13,14,15 but need to know eventually when we are starting and when we are likely to stop.

Done. Thanks again, Elsie.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

Tino27

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

psantucci

ArtMills +1

chocolot

MelissaH

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

mkayahara

So we are confirmed for Friday in Buffalo at Tomric - Brian Donaghy - winner of the Chocolate Surprise Proposal on the Food Network for his fabulous chocolate sculpture, will do a demo for us.

Brian is going to provide Robert M with some contact info for some chocolate businesses in Buffalo and if he is able to arrange any tours - anyone interested can side trip from there. Brian is not hopeful that this will be possible as he feels that post Easter there won't be a lot of activity in most of those businesses.

And I am confirmed for the Friday outing.

Is there a photo of the master's masterpiece?

I'd like to go to a Mexican bodega/mercado in Buffalo and shall set about finding one. Anyone know of one off-hand?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

And I am confirmed for the Friday outing.

Is there a photo of the master's masterpiece?

I'd like to go to a Mexican bodega/mercado in Buffalo and shall set about finding one. Anyone know of one off-hand?

No photo that I can find online yet - I've seen the pictures myself - I'll keep searching.

Hamilton used to have a rather decent Mexican market - but I don't think it's still there. There is a decent mexican restaurant called Mex-I-Can on James Street North in Hamilton - think it used to have a market attached but not sure if that is still the case.

Hamilton used to have a rather decent Mexican market - but I don't think it's still there. There is a decent mexican restaurant called Mex-I-Can on James Street North in Hamilton - think it used to have a market attached but not sure if that is still the case.

Yep they still have a small store in the back of the restaurant

Darienne, there is a Mexican store within walking distance of where I live. If there is anything i can pick up for you and bring with me, I'd be happy to do so.

Now this is a friend indeed!!! :biggrin: I'll get back to you.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Kerry - I know that in the past we started to put up different ideas for topics to discuss, for example you've held small group sessions on tempering chocolate and making/using our own designed transfer sheets -

If you'd (or those coming to the conference) would like, I could bring some equipment to do a session/demonstration on caramel making or possibly some other topic of group interest -

Regardless of topic, I would just need a little time to be able to prepare and assure ingredient availability

Just throwing idea's out there....

I wonder too if I should drag the YUDU (which I haven't even started to play with yet) along and we could see what it would produce in the way of a silk screen? We'd need an image of some sort to use.

I think you should bring everything you can that will fit in your car:-)

That's what I did last time - and then some!

Robert of course has to allow for crossing the border with all that stuff.

I admit, I'm ignorant to the rules and regulations about crossing the border. I work for the Department of Homeland Security so it appears I'm going to have to do some Customs/Border Patrol research to learn about the ability to take personal things across the border; into and back out of your Great country - I'm not looking to start a discussion about this - just making an observation -

Anything worth any great value should be 'registered' on your side before coming across so that no one tries to accuse you of buying it in Canada and trying to take it back. It probably affects Canadians going across the the US and coming back more so than Americans.

For Canadians only: Kerry can answer this one better than I can, but I do recall that some Canadian/US border crossings are a total pain at which to try to register Canadian items while crossing into the USA. So if this particular border crossing falls into that category, then it is better to register items in the city in which you live.

Which in Peterborough is also a nuisance because you have to bring said item(s) downtown with you and also, and most importantly, MAKE SURE SOMEONE IS MANNING THE OFFICE THAT DAY. Hard to believe, but true.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.