• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2011 Candy and Confectionery Conference

Kerry Beal

Well the regrets just keep piling up!

Lior writes "next year in the conference" from the holy land, there's going to be a panning demo, Ruth Kendrick (a personal hero) is going to be there, and the dinner and lunch look superb.

Kerry, I'm glad you're bringing a Thermomix. My silver lining is that I won't be tempted to take it home due to not being there.

Sincere best wishes - tinged with envy - to you all. I'll either make some candy in salute this weekend or mope in a corner!

Pat

We'll miss you Pat. Meeting you last year was a great delight!

I'm good with all the plans but let me confirm the timing so I don't miss anything.

First event is Friday at 10:00am at Landies Candies, correct?

I'm staying in Buffalo Thursday night so I will meet everyone at Landies and I'll also have my car to help with transportation for the rest of the weekend.

I have a Hilliard’s Little Dipper to bring in case we need it and Kerry said I should declare it at the boarder. I searched Canadian Customs but could not find the procedure, do I just tell the crossing officer when I drive up or do I need forms filled out?

I'm good with all the plans but let me confirm the timing so I don't miss anything.

I'm staying in Buffalo Thursday night so I will meet everyone at Landies and I'll also have my car to help with transportation for the rest of the weekend.

I have a Hilliard’s Little Dipper to bring in case we need it and Kerry said I should declare it at the boarder. I searched Canadian Customs but could not find the procedure, do I just tell the crossing officer when I drive up or do I need forms filled out?

It's not Canadian customs you register it with - it's american. They will (or should) make up a little green card with the info on it that serves to prove you own it when you are taking it back. Proof of purchase would serve the same purpose. Canadian customs will only be interested in whether you are selling it to a Canadian while you are here. Not sure how you prove that.

I'm staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, arriving Thursday late afternoon sometime - if anyone wants to carpool to Friday's events, please let me know. My car will hold 4 more adults (if someone wants to get stuck in the middle in the backseat).

Seeing as we're all going to the same places, carpooling could be fun and economical. I just need to unpack the car.

Also at the Hilton. I'll probably check in when I come in the am to bring a load of stuff - but won't come back until after dinner.

I'd allow 45 to 60 minutes to get to Landies - likely won't take that long but you never know about delays at the border.

I can take 2 people with me.

Chris - did you say you weren't going to Buffalo (and were going to make sure our show and tell stuff made it to Casa Mia)?

It's not Canadian customs you register it with - it's american. They will (or should) make up a little green card with the info on it that serves to prove you own it when you are taking it back. Proof of purchase would serve the same purpose. Canadian customs will only be interested in whether you are selling it to a Canadian while you are here. Not sure how you prove that.

I can tell you how we do it every year...and we've done it dozens of times...from the Canadian perspective. In our city, Peterborough, we have a Canadian customs outlet and we take the item, in this case your Little Dipper, down there and they issue us with the little green card to prove when we return that we already had it with us. Or, as Kerry says, you can do it at our border. Now, because it is against US law that 'aliens' do any work for remuneration in the US, we also have to prove that we are not working for money in the USA. Which of course, we can't. You can't prove absence of intention. And what we take with us is our gourd tools. So what I do is to print out whatever workshop information I have from online and have this handy. 'Are you intending to work in the USA?' they might ask. 'No, we reply. We are going to this workshop...(shows printed workshop papers)...and that's all.' It's been a long time since we have been challenged ...although we were once and it was not pleasant...and I am always prepared since that time. [Added note: yes, no American official has challenged us since that one horrible episode more than a decade ago.]

I hope this helps. If you want any other tidbits of the same kind, just PM me. All best.

Yes, I am devastated that once more I've been forced to cancel attending an eG event, but as my youngest is wont to say: Stuff happens. Well, of course, he doesn't say 'stuff'. :raz:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

RobertM....thank you for the early morning laugh! Hop sounds like more fun than walk, etc. I will be watching for the next event and plan to attend. In the meantime, I will look forward to the comments on the outcome of this workshop. Safe travels.

Pat, I second Kerry's comment - it's US that will be moping because you aren't there -

Thank you both. I can't believe I left "not seeing friends I made last year" off the regrets list! I feel it nonetheless.

Pat

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

Realize I can only find one of my heat guns - I've asked Dave to bring one along - but anyone else driving - could your bring yours. Label everything!

I'm staying at the Hilton Garden Inn too but won't be there until late Friday afternoon. Looking forward to meeting everyone at dinner. Hope everyone has a great cross-border day on Friday :)

Hi All, 2 things 1. pls let me know if you are attending the dinner at Casa Mia on Friday and how many in your party. I need to let the restaurant know final numbers. thanks 2. I have arranged for Laura from Casa Mia to pick up all our chocolates for show and tell - she will be picking up from the hotel (front desk) during the day on Friday to have them ready for us after dinner. Don't forget to leave your wares at the desk BEFORE you leave for Buffalo. Cheers and can't wait to see everyone tomorrow.

Hi Plus 1

For dinner at Casa Mia it will be me and my husband. I might miss Laura's pick up at the Hilton. If so I'll bring my show and tell chocolates to the restaurant.

Thanks for arranging the meal.

Hi everyone,

Kerry or RobertM (or anyone else), do you still have seats available for carpooling? Looks like I will need a ride from Casa Mia to the Hilton Garden Inn (I'm actually staying at the Niagara College student rez, but will walk there from Hilton).

I'm paying in wine or chocolate, driver's pick. :raz:

This will be fun!

Diana

Hi everyone,

Kerry or RobertM (or anyone else), do you still have seats available for carpooling? Looks like I will need a ride from Casa Mia to the Hilton Garden Inn (I'm actually staying at the Niagara College student rez, but will walk there from Hilton).

I'm paying in wine or chocolate, driver's pick. :raz:

This will be fun!

Diana

We'll make sure you get home safely.